Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Translation Studies (Chinese) - Arts
- Auckland, New Zealand
- UoA Department Name: European Lang and Literature
- Advert Closing Date: 30/11/2019
- Campus: Auckland City Campus
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Position Number: 55565112
School of Cultures, Languages & Linguistics
About the role
Housed in the School of Cultures, Languages and Linguistics at the University of Auckland, Translation Studies offers up-to-date education and training in translation mainly at postgraduate level, including translation technology and audiovisual translation. We are a small but dynamic team well positioned to expand this relatively new discipline in New Zealand.
To support the expansion of our programmes, we seek to appoint a new colleague to join the School as Lecturer/Senior Lecturer with specialisation in interpreting with Chinese (Mandarin) at L1 or L2. The successful candidate will be expected to provide professionally oriented teaching, engage in scholarly research and carry out Service to the School.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a unique contribution to the academic and professional development of public service interpreting and translation in New Zealand, while allowing you to initiate and/or advance your career in a growing area, at a forward-looking institution. We welcome applications from qualified candidates with the ability to deliver pedagogical translation and interpreting between Chinese and English to students in our postgraduate programmes.
We are looking for candidates with a PhD in translation/interpreting studies or equivalent. The ideal candidate should have specialisation in interpreting, preferably in public service interpreting and other community settings, and be able to deliver practice in technology mediated interpreting (including video-remote interpreting and telephone interpreting). Experience in teaching/designing online courses will be an advantage.
Our ideal candidate
- A scholar or experienced professional with a PhD in Translation/Interpreting Studies or equivalent, with Chinese (Mandarin) either as L1 or L2 and specialisation in interpreting, preferably in public service/community interpreting
- A track-record in tertiary teaching in an English-speaking environment for interpreting and broader subjects in Translation Studies
- A publication record, either in developing stages for early-career applicants or a strong track-record for mid-career applicants
- Supervision experience for Masters and PhD students will be an advantage
- A team player and excellent communicator with inclusive attitudes towards cultural diversity Willingness to take on an administrative load in addition to teaching and research
A well-resourced university with various support schemes for teaching and research Opportunities to develop research and teaching profiles through mentoring A dynamic peaceful multicultural society with mild climate
More information about this role is available in the Position Description.
Why work with us
The University of Auckland is committed to providing an excellent working environment through:
- Flexible employment practices
- Career development programmes
- A competitive salary with five weeks’ annual leave
We also offer a company superannuation scheme, discounted car parking, a generous parental leave allowance, discounted childcare and a number of other discounts on internal and external services.
For more information please visit Staff Benefits.
Applications should be submitted online, before the closing date of 30 November 2019 and include an up to date CV and cover letter including teaching and research statement.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students in a safe, inclusive and equitable environment. For further information on services for Māori, Pacific, women, LGBTQITakatāpui+, people with disabilities, parenting support, flexible work and other equity issues go to www.equity.auckland.ac.nz.