Sr. Java Developer
- Madison, WI
The Weather Channel is the world's leading cross-platform media company with a portfolio that includes The Weather Channel television network, TWC digital properties (weather.com, mobile and tablet applications) and Weather Services International (WSI). Headquartered in Cobb County since 1982, The Weather Channel brand has connected millions of consumers by providing the most accurate weather forecasts, 24 hours a day. Seen in more than 100 million U.S. households, The Weather Channel network is one of the most widely-distributed cable networks. The Weather Channel online properties reach 60 million unique Web consumers each month. This includes 32 million consumers monthly through weather.com on mobile Web and mobile apps. TWC has the No.1 app on all smartphones and is the second most used app on all smartphones. WSI provides business-to-business weather services to media, aviation, marine and energy sectors.
- Produce working maintainable, fast, scalable Java and Scala services from product requirements and designs
- Solve business needs with near term product deliverables, longer term vision and evolving current architecture with robust technical solutions
- Communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical people to build the products they require, or help formulate a strategy to meet the products needs
- Learn quickly and be versatile. Be able to handle both back-end and occasional front-end type of work.
- Keep coming up with cool new ideas, not just be a code monkey
- Strive to be an expert at what you do, constantly improving your skills
- Be prepared to evaluate new technologies and apply and compare them to similar technologies
- Offer advice and solutions to peers and mentor junior developers
- Be willing to dive into and learn complex problems involving GIS (Geographic Information Systems) as well as weather data and corresponding scientific algorithms
- Be a collaborative part of the team, not just a member of a team
- Have fun and help those around you to do the same!
- Mastery of server-side concurrent programming on the JVM
- Extensive experience with HTTP-based data exchange
- Extensive experience with large-scale, high-use apps
- Excellent understanding of OOP and design patterns
- Experience on both Windows and Unix environments
- Experience performance testing and tuning services and applications
- Proficiency in SQL
- Experience with Cassandra is a big plus
- Experience with AWS, Spring, Unix, JSON, REST, AJAX, and Maven are all pluses
We also use a variety of other technologies including, but not limited to a HTML5 stack, C/C++ and many, many tools and frameworks. We don¿t expect you to know them all, but at least knowing what they are and have a desire to learn is a good start. The role is not all server-side focused so you should have some web-development knowledge, be able to apply yourself to solving problems and know what makes for good, maintainable and scalable code.
- Self-motivated to EXCEED objectives
- Analytical skills to identify candidate capabilities against job responsibilities
- Flexible to review own progress and adapt to changing objectives of the market
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in very fast paced changing environment
- Articulate communicator
- Professional demeanor
- Team player
- Personal / Professional Integrity