Engineering Director, Transactions
- Bucharest, Romania
- Department: Product & Engineering
Have you ever worked for a company that actually wanted you to bring your whole self to work every single day?
Tradeshift is a unicorn in the fintech industry. We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions.
Transactions Cluster Team
Transaction Cluster belongs to Platform Services organization in Tradeshift Engineering. The cluster provides services to allow customers to engage in communications, interactions and business processes with transacting partners on the network, which is essentially the core functionality of Tradeshift platform.
Tradeshift is looking for an experienced Director of Engineering, to lead a few teams spread across a few locations building software to solve big problems and designing solutions with cutting edge technology. You will facilitate their process, create commitment with the teams on deliverables and ensure our services work efficiently on production and deliverables have desired quality.
What a day is like:
You will report to the VP of Engineering - Platform Services and be a part of the Tradeshift Engineering leadership. Your reports will be Engineering Managers who help teams to deliver, likely you will have a few engineers reporting directly to you. You are a part of a global organization - Tradeshift is a multicultural company with 30+ nationalities spread across offices in several time zones. Travel will be required and sometimes on a short notice.
You will be empowering teams to grow product & platform solutions, from prototyping and high-level system design to application development.
You will also:
- Be responsible for the technical quality of solutions your teams produce
- Track key performance metrics of Transaction cluster to ensure we’re doing well
- Work closely with Product and Project Managers, help teams to prioritize work and push back when needed
- Make and implement technology decisions that align with the strategies
- Working with customers both to scope new implementation projects and in escalations of issues with existing accounts
- Evangelizing Tradeshift’s Platform both internally and with customers, talk on conferences
You’re perfect for this role if you:
- Have been involved in building software products for significant period of time (2+ years each) at a management position (leading 20+ engineers) in an organization of a similar scale
- Have a strong technical background coming from backend engineer experience, preferably Java world
- Have a need to find the right solution but don't get bogged down looking for technical perfection
- Are experienced enough to quickly estimate the level of work required for a system change or project
- Enjoy talking to customers to understand their needs
- You can translate sales pitches to system implementations and vice versa
- Must be comfortable in a fast-paced, sometimes unpredictable startup culture and environment
You also have:
- 10+ years of industry experience with large scale & complexity, highly automated cloud-based systems
- Successful record of improving resilience of a complicated codebase over a long period of time
- Relevant people leadership experience in a growing technology company
- Ability to influence, lead others and promote necessary changes
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and technical aptitude: to be successful you’ll need to work together with many engineers across teams and offices
- Strong learner: You will need to pick up on how the platform works fast, encompassing many technologies and business areas, from the front-end to the back-end
- Excellent organizational, project management, and time management skills
- Self-starter with the ability to aggressively pursue the goals of Tradeshift
- Proven ability to drive and manage multiple, competing priorities with urgency in a fast-paced environment
- Motivated by ambitious goals and know what is needed to accomplish them
- Fluent in English
Our Bucharest office is full of “rebels” - people who like to challenge the status quo. We’re a fun group always looking for ways to make an impact and we enjoy the freedom and autonomy we are allowed in our jobs.
Our culture began day one when three Danes poured their brains, heart, and guts into creating a platform that could connect every business in the world. We expect each employee to approach their work with the same amount of pride and passion. One day you might find us having a ping pong match in the middle of the work day, and then you’ll find us handing off projects to colleagues in different time zones so we can continue progress around the clock.
TradeShifters come from various backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life.
We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why you might like working here:
- You love autonomy and the freedom to get your work done how you want
- You like sharing your opinions and feeling like they matter
- You want to work for a company that requires you to bring your whole self to work every day: brains, heart, and guts.
- Ambitious international startup, and agile environment in Bucharest, Romania
- Competitive compensation package
- Career and professional development opportunities (workshops, trainings etc.)
- Trips to design-camps for working with and learning from professionals in other countries
- Flexible work hours
- Company laptop provided
- Medical Subscription
- Meal tickets of 15 lei value for each working day
- Free drinks & snacks daily, fresh fruits every Monday and Wednesday
- Safe outdoor bike parking spot
- Access to Bookster
- Friendly and relaxed working atmosphere
- Relaxing spots, games - ping pong, board games
- Fun team-bonding events such as Team Camps, Hack-a-thons, Game & Field Days
- Welcome Breakfast, Happy Hours, Birthdays Celebrations and more!