Senior Java Backend Engineer, Platform Services Team
- Bucharest, Romania
- Department: Product & Engineering
Have you ever worked for a company that actually wanted you to bring your whole self to work every single day?
Tradeshift is a unicorn in the fin-tech industry. We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions.
Our team provides components & tools to allow every company in the world to easily interact with and build upon Tradeshift, creating additional economic opportunity for many. We design, implement and extend platform-level functionality for strategic and repeating needs, maintaining coherence across the entire platform, and re-engineering to improve effectiveness. We love the scale and impact of what we are doing, and look to bring the best value to our users. In Bucharest, we plan on growing our team that works on the core Workflow Engine - the heart of all products running on the platform, Task Manager - the app which enables users of the platform to complete their tasks, navigate them, prioritize and get an overview of their work.
Role & Projects
We are looking for a talented Senior Java Backend Engineer interested in working with the latest tech, willing to experience hyper-growth in Tradeshift. Our team is working on two exciting projects: Workflow Engine, the heart of all products running on the platform, and Task Manager, the app which enables users of the platform to complete their tasks, navigate them, prioritize and get an overview of their work.
What a day is like:
You will implement business-critical features used across the Tradeshift platform in collaboration with our agile Tradeshift product and engineering teams. You'll work alongside Product Managers and designers to define and ship new product experiences and participate in the entire development cycle.
- Work in a core platform team, in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Implement services that are highly-available and reliable, building features to enable new Tradeshift products and improving existing products
- Requirement gathering, architectural design, implementation, testing until deployment and verification
- Write high-quality, tested and peer-reviewed code
- Provide technical support and mentoring to team members
- Review code to ensure the quality of the design by avoiding complexity and advocating clarity within the team
- Identify opportunities, design and implement solutions to improve engineering productivity
Some tech you'll be working with:
Cache systems / NoSQL databases, message-oriented middleware (HornetQ, RabbitMQ), CI/CD, AWS, Kubernetes.
You’re perfect for this role if you:
You are passionate about the impact of your work, are excited to learn new technologies, and are willing to dive into unknown territories. You are inclined towards software engineering best practices, pragmatic solutions, and are proud to own the quality of your deliverables. Curiosity towards new technologies, programming languages, frameworks, etc, is a plus.
You also have:
- 5+ years of professional experience with Java and application frameworks such as Spring or Java EE
- Familiarity with software design patterns (IoC, DI, MVC, etc)
- Experience with web programming concepts such as REST and the HTTP protocol
- SQL database skills (Postgresql, SQL Server or similar)
- Experience working Linux / Unix operating systems
- Experience with virtualization / container technologies like Docker
- Experience with Domain Driven Design & Test Driven Development
Our Bucharest office is full of “rebels” - people who like to challenge the status quo. We’re a fun group always looking for ways to make an impact and we enjoy the freedom and autonomy we are allowed in our jobs.
Our culture began day one when three Danes poured their brains, heart, and guts into creating a platform that could connect every business in the world. We expect each employee to approach their work with the same amount of pride and passion. One day you might find us having a ping pong match in the middle of the work day, and then you’ll find us handing off projects to colleagues in different time zones so we can continue progress around the clock.
TradeShifters come from various backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life.
Why you might like working here:
- You love autonomy and the freedom to get your work done how you want
- You like sharing your opinions and feeling like they matter
- You want to work for a company that requires you to bring your whole self to work every day: brains, heart, and guts.
- Ambitious international startup, and agile environment in Bucharest, Romania
- Competitive compensation package
- Career and professional development opportunities (workshops, trainings etc.)
- Trips to design-camps for working with and learning from professionals in other countries
- Flexible work hours
- Company laptop provided
- Medical Subscription
- Meal tickets of 15 lei value for each working day
- Free drinks & snacks daily, fresh fruits every Monday and Wednesday
- Safe outdoor bike parking spot
- Access to Bookster
- Friendly and relaxed working atmosphere
- Relaxing spots, games - ping pong, board games
- Fun team-bonding events such as Team Camps, Hack-a-thons, Game & Field Days
- Welcome Breakfast, Happy Hours, Birthdays Celebrations and more!