Senior Java Backend Engineer, Platform Services Team
- Bucharest, Romania
- Department: Product & Engineering
Have you ever worked for a company that actually wanted you to bring your whole self to work every single day?
Tradeshift is a unicorn in the fintech industry. We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions.
Platform Services Team
Our team provides components & tools to allow every company in the world to easily interact with and build upon the Tradeshift platform, creating additional economic opportunity for many. We design, implement and extend platform-level functionality for strategic and repeating needs, maintaining coherence across the entire platform and re-engineering to improve effectiveness. We love the scale and impact of what we are doing, and look to bring the best value to our users. In Bucharest, we are committed to improving the performance and scalability of the Documents API, which is a central component of the Tradeshift API, supporting our customers to exchange a constantly increasing number of documents through the platform.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Java Backend Engineer with the right attitude and skill set for improving our existing platform and products, willing to experience hyper-growth in Tradeshift and all the challenges that come with it. You will have the opportunity to make a difference as we strive to connect all of the companies in the world and make business applications better for people.
What a day is like:
You will be working in an Agile/Scrum environment as part of a core platform team, implementing business-critical features across the Tradeshift platform while collaborating with the global Product and Engineering teams. You will be designing and implementing services that are highly-available and reliable, participating in the entire development cycle, from requirements gathering and architectural design, to implementation, testing, deployment and verification. You will help build features to enable the development of new Tradeshift products and improvements for existing products. You will also:
- Identify opportunities and implement solutions to improve engineering productivity
- Write high-quality, tested and peer-reviewed code
- Build reusable code, libraries and components, for future use
- Review code to ensure the quality of the design by avoiding complexity and advocating clarity within the team
- Provide technical support and mentoring to team members
- Brainstorm technical alternatives on a whiteboard with your team
You’re perfect for this role if you:
Are passionate about the impact of your work, are excited to learn new technologies, not afraid of taking on hard challenges and willing to dive into unknown territories. You are inclined towards software engineering best practices, pragmatic solutions, and are proud to own the quality of your deliverables. Having curiosity towards new technologies, programming languages and frameworks is a big plus.
You also have:
- 6+ years of professional experience with Java and application frameworks such as Spring or Java EE
- Relevant working experience with ElasticSearch
- Very good experience working with SQL databases (PostgreSQL, SQL Server or similar)
- Good experience with message queue systems (HornetQ and RabbitMQ are a big plus)
- Experience working with NoSQL databases like Riak or Cassandra
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- Experience with testing frameworks, writing API tests (Mockito/EasyMock, WireMock)
- Familiarity with software design patterns
- Experience working with Linux / Unix operating systems
- Knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes and AWS
- Fluency in English, speaking, reading and writing
Our Bucharest office is full of “rebels” - people who like to challenge the status quo. We’re a fun group always looking for ways to make an impact and we enjoy the freedom and autonomy we are allowed in our jobs.
Our culture began day one when three Danes poured their brains, heart, and guts into creating a platform that could connect every business in the world. We expect each employee to approach their work with the same amount of pride and passion. One day you might find us having a ping pong match in the middle of the work day, and then you’ll find us handing off projects to colleagues in different time zones so we can continue progress around the clock.
TradeShifters come from various backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life.
Why you might like working here:
- You love autonomy and the freedom to get your work done how you want
- You like sharing your opinions and feeling like they matter
- You want to work for a company that requires you to bring your whole self to work every day: brains, heart, and guts.
- Ambitious international startup, and agile environment in Bucharest, Romania
- Competitive compensation package
- Career and professional development opportunities (workshops, trainings etc.)
- Trips to design-camps for working with and learning from professionals in other countries
- Flexible work hours
- Company laptop provided
- Medical Subscription
- Meal tickets of 15 lei value for each working day
- Free drinks & snacks daily, fresh fruits every Monday and Wednesday
- Safe outdoor bike parking spot
- Access to Bookster
- Friendly and relaxed working atmosphere
- Relaxing spots, games - ping pong, board games
- Fun team-bonding events such as Team Camps, Hack-a-thons, Game & Field Days
- Welcome Breakfast, Happy Hours, Birthdays Celebrations and more!