Engineering Director - Site Reliability Engineering
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Department: Product & Engineering
Have you ever worked for a company that actually wanted you to bring your whole self to work every single day?
Tradeshift is a unicorn in the fintech industry. We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) belongs to the Platform Operations organization in Tradeshift Engineering. This cluster of teams ensures that the Tradeshift platform software services have the availability, performance and capacity needed to run a global platform for all companies in the world.
SRE is also responsible for internally evangelizing best practices for building scalable systems internally in Tradeshift as well as running the on-call programs for the Tradeshift application services we run.
As Director of SRE you are responsible for the availability, performance and capacity of the Tradeshift platform as a whole. You will lead several teams focused on system reliability currently located in Copenhagen and Bucharest.
You have to be comfortable with balancing strategic investments in re-architecting systems and making sure there is enough capacity for the future while also driving the engineering response and follow up for real-time incidents and day to day changes in user behaviour that warrants a quick response
What a day is like:
You will report to the VP of Global Platform Operations and be a part of the Tradeshift Engineering leadership. Your reports will be engineers reporting directly to you in Copenhagen and Engineering Managers who help teams to deliver in our other offices.
You are a part of a global organization - Tradeshift is a multicultural company with 30+ nationalities spread across offices in several time zones. Travel will be required and sometimes on short notice.
You will be empowering teams to grow product & platform solutions, from prototyping and high-level system design to application development.
You will also:
- Be changing the world!
- Building and managing technical teams to grow product and platform
- Be accountable for the output of the Transactions engineering organization in Bucharest
- Building the Tradeshift engineering brand within Tradeshifts locations
- Make and implement technology decisions that align with the strategies
- Prioritize work and push back when needed
- Reporting to the VP of Global Platform Operations, you will help ensure that we become the best that we can become
You’re perfect for this role if you:
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in software development
- Experience managing ab engineering team on large-scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage.
- Proficiency working with algorithms, data structures and production troubleshooting.
- Leadership and management of developers - diversity in experience from team sizes, technologies and cultures is good
- Strong experience with global distributed systems, system architecture and optimization
- Strong experience with troubleshooting in large distributed systems.
- Comfortable and experienced running systems with large volumes of data
- Individual contributor doing software engineering - you know your stuff building software as well as what it takes to run it at scale
- Knowledge of and hands-on experience with agile software development
- Promoting and institutionalizing devops processes and methodologies
- Familiarity building on public cloud, AWS in particular
- Experience with DevOps automation tools like Puppet and Terraform.
- Experience with Linux systems and OS optimizations.
- Must be comfortable in a fast-paced, sometimes unpredictable startup culture and environment
- Speaks and writes fluent English
You also have:
- 10+ years of industry experience with large scale, highly automated cloud-based systems
- Successful record of improving resilience of a complicated codebase over a long period of time
- Relevant people leadership experience in a growing technology company
- Ability to influence, lead others and promote necessary changes
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and technical aptitude
- Strong learner: You will need to pick up on how the platform works fast, encompassing many technologies and business areas, from the front-end to the back-end
- Excellent organizational, project management, and time management skills
- Self-starter attitude with the ability to aggressively pursue the goals of Tradeshift
- Proven ability to drive and manage multiple, competing priorities with urgency in a fast-paced environment
- Ambitious goals and understanding of what is needed to accomplish them
Our office in Copenhagen has a palpable excitement that stems from the constant change that keeps everyone on their toes. Each employee has a voice, and their hard work pays off. No good work goes unnoticed.
Our culture began day one when three Danes poured their brains, heart, and guts into creating a platform that could connect every business in the world. We expect each employee to approach their work with the same amount of pride and passion. One day you might find us having a ping pong match in the middle of the work day, and then you’ll find us handing off projects to colleagues in different time zones so we can continue progress around the clock.
TradeShifters come from various backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life.
We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why you might like working here:
- You love autonomy and the freedom to get your work done how you want
- You like sharing your opinions and feeling like they matter
- You want to work for a company that requires you to bring your whole self to work every day: brains, heart, and guts.
- Ambitious international startup
- Career and professional development opportunities
- Large office that provides caters to many different work-environment preferences
- Flexible work hours
- Mobile phone plan and at home internet
- Lunch and snacks daily with drinks
- A competitive compensation package and equity
- In-house activities like yoga
- Opportunity to join many fun, varied company events like happy hours, hackathons, family holiday parties, and many more.