Senior Backend Engineer
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Department: Product & Engineering
Have you ever worked for a company that actually wanted you to bring your whole self to work every single day?
Tradeshift is a unicorn in the fintech industry. We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions.
Site Reliability Engineering’s (SRE) mission at Tradeshift is to ensure our software platform is prepared for anything. SRE is tasked with solving long term software engineering problems around operations, keeping our platform availability high, making it scalable, and ensuring stability for our developers and our customers.
You will be joining the SRE team based in Copenhagen, and will collaborate with engineering teams all over the world. It is expected that you can bring pragmatic software experience to our team, help grow others, and maybe learn something as well. The SRE team must be able and ready to assist in any software engineering problem at Tradeshift.
You will be directly, and indirectly, working to accelerate Tradeshift’s move to new architecture paradigms so that our platform has the availability, and capacity, needed for our customers.
This position has a lot of growth opportunities within the company for the right candidate. You will not be limited to work within one specific area or technology, but will be working with a very large mix of technologies and software domains inside of Tradeshift.
What a day is like:
Some days you will deep dive into a new, and very complicated software problem, with the goal of improving our platform. That could be to optimize software, or in some cases work on replacements of microservices, or maybe to help our internal databases to be more efficient and scalable. Other times you will be racing against the clock to root cause software faults, so we can restore service to our customers. At the same time, you will be helping teams release software into production with the correct software practices.
You’re perfect for this role if you:
There's no such thing as a perfect candidate for SRE. Our team is made up of engineers from different backgrounds and experience. We feel that this enables us to support more domain areas, which is critical for our team to succeed. Therefore, we value diverse skill sets and are always looking for teammates who we can grow with.
Even if only a few of the qualities below describe you, please reach out and we can see if there is a good match:
You also have:
- 5+ years of experience with Java and/or JVM based languages (like Scala or Clojure).
- You can demonstrate proper software engineering practices, are pragmatic in your solutions, and take ownership for the quality of your deliveries
- You are comfortable developing on Linux / Unix operating systems
- You have experience with source control, preferable GIT
- You have worked with virtualization / container techs, like Docker
- You have experience in cloud solutions (AWS, Google cloud, Heroku)
- You are interested in problems around concurrency, scalability, and distributed systems
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
- Proficient in English for conversing, reading and writing
Our office in Copenhagen has a palpable excitement that stems from the constant change that keeps everyone on their toes. Each employee has a voice, and their hard work pays off. No good work goes unnoticed.
Our culture began day one when three Danes poured their brains, heart, and guts into creating a platform that could connect every business in the world. We expect each employee to approach their work with the same amount of pride and passion. One day you might find us having a ping pong match in the middle of the work day, and then you’ll find us handing off projects to colleagues in different time zones so we can continue progress around the clock.
TradeShifters come from various backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life.
We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why you might like working here:
- You love autonomy and the freedom to get your work done how you want
- You like sharing your opinions and feeling like they matter
- You want to work for a company that requires you to bring your whole self to work every day: brains, heart, and guts.
- Ambitious international startup
- Career and professional development opportunities
- Large office that provides caters to many different work-environment preferences
- Flexible work hours
- Mobile phone plan and at home internet
- Lunch and snacks daily with drinks
- A competitive compensation package and equity
- In-house activities like yoga
- Opportunity to join many fun, varied company events like happy hours, hackathons, family holiday parties, and many more.