Sr. DevOps Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Department: Product & Engineering
Have you ever worked for a company that actually wanted you to bring your whole self to work every single day?
Tradeshift is a unicorn in the fintech industry. We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions.
Expect engineer involvement from product inception through production support. Our teams have great autonomy and responsibility to choose the best solutions, technologies and approaches to bringing Tradeshift to the next level. Of course, this will not be easy; this role will face a lot of complex challenges in our growing, global, fast-paced startup.
We are looking for an outstanding DevOps Engineer with the skills to bring new products to market and improve our existing platform and products. You will have the opportunity to make a difference as we strive to connect all of the companies in the world and make business applications better for people.
The Tradeshift platform is hosted on AWS and composed of a number of Java applications (with a dash of node. js and Scala/Akka) using RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, Riak, PostgreSQL, and Cassandra. All of our current infrastructure is highly automated with Jenkins, Rundeck, Puppet, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, Consul, etc playing key roles.
We work based on an agile value set and try to minimize the formal process footprint - no more than it takes for everyone to remain sane and productive. On the engineering side of things, we subscribe to continuous integration with a lot of automated testing, extending to our infrastructure related code. We also fully subscribe to automation of the build and release processes, test/behavior driven development, etc.
What a day is like:
- Helping with investigations and root cause analysis often in real time
- Manage cloud provider operations cost
- Be part of on-call duties for maintaining the platform
- Identifying and removing performance bottlenecks throughout the platform, and improve platform security implementations
- Building and implementing new tools and automation to solve problems
- Expanding our platform footprint as we roll out into additional regions
- Working with other engineering teams to increase reliability and availability
- PCI DSS
You're perfect for this role if:
Have experience with a few of the items listed below, but there is no such thing as a perfect candidate! We value diverse skillsets and want to hear from you even if not all of the following apply.
- Deep experience working in Linux based environments
- Experience developing, releasing and iterating on distributed applications
- Hashicorp technologies - Terraform, Vagrant, Consul, and Vault
- Experience with configuration management technologies: Puppet, Chef or Ansible
- Docker and Docker orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes and Helm
- AWS services including but not limited to EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, EBS, SQS, etc.
- Datastores such as PostgreSQL, Riak, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, etc.
- CI/CD pipeline operation and automation
- Designing architecture aiming horizontally scalable microservices
- Cloud Design Patterns and Cloud Cost Models
- PCI DSS experience
At our Headquarters in San Francisco, you’ll be surrounded by the best and brightest in the industry. Your colleagues are wicked smart and some of the kindest and nicest people around. We’re never assholes. You’ll be given the opportunity to do creative problem solving for issues that actually matter, and have a real impact on the projects you are driving.
Our culture began day one when three Danes poured their brains, heart, and guts into creating a platform that could connect every business in the world. We expect each employee to approach their work with the same amount of pride and passion. One day you might find us having a ping pong match in the middle of the work day, and then you’ll find us handing off projects to colleagues in different time zones so we can continue progress around the clock.
Tradeshifters come from various backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life.
We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why you might like working here:
- You love autonomy and the freedom to get your work done how you want
- You like sharing your opinions and feeling like they matter
- You want to work for a company that requires you to bring your whole self to work every day: brains, heart, and guts.
- Career and professional development opportunities
- Flexible hours and vacation policy
- Supplemented cell phone plan
- Lunch provided daily from local SF eateries and snacks
- Fully paid 6 months parental leave
- A competitive compensation package + equity
- 100% covered medical, dental and vision benefits
- Life, short and long-term disability insurance
- Wellness and volunteer Programs
- Fun company events like happy hours, outings and much more!
This is a full-time role based in our downtown San Francisco office. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.