Senior Data Engineer
- Bucharest, Romania
- Department: Data and Analytics
Tradeshift is a unicorn in the fintech industry. We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions. We work hard and our teams have great freedom and responsibility to choose the best solutions, technologies and approaches to evolve the product to the next level.
We believe that being a global, multicultural company is a tremendous strength and we have people working from 18 different countries with hubs in Bucharest, Copenhagen, Kuala Lumpur, and San Francisco. We believe that if we truly focus on how to work distributed and collaborate across locations and (home) offices, we will not only enjoy work more but also build better products for our customers, and ultimately be a better company.
About The Team
In the Tradeshift Data and Machine Learning team we provide solutions and services to enable, scale and automate all five key products in the Tradeshift suite, using the world’s largest business network and a distributed, microservice based, cloud native system.
Our Copenhagen based team builds the data pipelines that drive both internal and customer-facing analyses, reports, and artificial intelligence. We build and maintain several backend microservices and a small set of front end applications. Our insights and algorithms feed directly into products; they also act as the bridge between our products. For instance, machine learning models identify and correct inconsistencies found in data that we are receiving from customers. Robust, fast, and accurate data pipelines are the backbone of this critical work.
About The Role
Tradeshift is looking for a superstar to join Tradeshift as a senior level data engineer. This means being a technical leader with architectural ownership; mentoring and inspiring colleagues and setting technical direction; representing Tradeshift in conferences, the blogosphere and relevant open source communities; while at the same time getting your hands plenty dirty in code contributions for the strong team you will be part of, as well as for company wide projects.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Take responsibility for critical data pipelines, driving the overall technical roadmap and vision for the services in the area, advising and discussing with teams that are building services (including your own) to ensure coherence and direction.
- Share your knowledge and expertise widely in Tradeshift, inspiring and mentoring colleagues in Engineering.
- Represent Tradeshift in the P2P/FinTech/Engineering industry by giving talks at conferences, sharing findings in blog posts, and being part of relevant open source communities.
- Work with product managers and designers in a global environment to define and ship new products, migrate existing legacy code to microservices, create new services and modules within the platform and work on feature requests and improvements.
- Interact with IaaS cloud providers, primarily AWS, but also GCP.
- Write high-quality, tested and peer-reviewed code covered by unit, component and integration tests.
- Work with technologies and tools such as Python, PostgreSQL, Spark, Scala, Java, Docker, Kafka.
- Perform CI/CD and orchestration tasks using Jenkins, Argo, AWS data pipelines, and Cronjobs.
Further technologies we use
- Zeppelin, RabbitMQ, Datadog, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Datadog, Sentry, Splunk.
Let's Connect If You...
- Have a BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent. At least 4 years of proven data engineering experience building and maintaining systems.
- Are well versed in all aspects of software development: Inception, architecture, design, specification, development, testing, building/deploying, running, refactoring, decommissioning, etc.
- Have experience with distributed, cloud native, microservice based, major scale, transactional systems. Or the ability to apply other veins of experience and theoretical knowledge to this domain in a convincing manner.
- Can primarily work in Postgresql, Python, Scala, and Java. Experience with multiple programming languages, paradigms, environments and frameworks expected.The ability to reflect on the advantages and shortcomings in applying them to different problems and situations is key.
- Thrive with hard challenges and with diving into unknown territory. Enjoy pragmatic problem solving in a collaborative environment, where the result is the focus, not the individual contributions or egos.
- Exhibit strong communication both with peers, less experienced engineers, and people from other areas of the business. Not afraid to share knowledge, take the lead and show direction.
- Are experienced and opinionated on different software development methodologies, including Scrum. Reflects on when to use what techniques, and applies them in a pragmatic manner.
- Are fluent in English, written and spoken.
We value diversity at our company. Tradeshift prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious or religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws. All your information will be kept confidential according to GDPR guidelines.