Controls Sales Engineer
- Portland, OR
Starting with 11 associates, TraneOregon has become a premier company in commercial heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC), with more than 70 associates. And every TraneOregon employee is trained to be the best.
We take pride in providing building owners and managers with Trane’s leading technology and energy services, building system controls, factory-trained service personnel, customer training, and a complete parts and supply center.
The more complex HVAC systems become, the more customers benefit from our integrated system approach. TraneOregon is the only Trane Factory Authorized warranty agent for Trane commercial and industrial products in Oregon and Southwest Washington
Responsible for developing long-term customer relationships and maximizing account penetration and customer retention with building owner, contractor and consulting engineer/architect accounts. Responsible for the job sales process from information gathering, estimating, pricing, through fulfillment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other functions may be assigned.
- Identifies potential opportunities with existing and new customers.
- Collects project data and compares to the office’s capabilities.
- Develops relationships with multiple buying influences in the customer’s organization, including project managers, project engineers, construction, purchasing, and accounts payable.
- Responsible for creating cost estimates consisting of materials, sub-contractors, purchased equipment, labor, and other construction-related activities to team with Account Managers in bidding on or determining price of project.
- Coordinates with consulting engineers in writing project specifications.
- Examines and reviews contracts and estimates by performing risk analysis and developing risk plans.
- Prepares sub-contractor request for quotation’s (RFQ) including: scope statements; plans and milestone dates; specs; bonding requirements; and billing schedule of values.
- Gathers and validates preliminary information and performs facility walkthrough, construction plan review or other requirements.
- Determines project needs, constraints, and responsibilities to meet all of the customer’s HVAC system design and installation requirements.
- Develops preliminary project fulfillment schedule.
- Maintains competitive advantage by staying current with industry standards.
- Develops the scope of work for sub-contractors.
- Optimizes job costs by negotiating prices with vendors/sub-contractors through quotations for materials/services.
- Responsible for holding job pre-bid meeting with other Account Managers to review scope, strategy, etc.
- Responsible for project take-off, selection, pricing, and integration of equipment, controls, and services.
- Responsible for the preparation and review of the proposal.
- Reviews and compares contract terms and conditions with Trane contract standards.
- Prepares transition documents and communicates project readiness for assignment to operations team.
- Resolves major deviations from scope with team after Project Scope Validation.
May directly supervise sales support personnel. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work, and performance appraisals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in engineering, business or equivalent from four-year college or university; 2-5 years of job related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Proficient in all phases of working with computers and intermediate to advanced skills in the use of MS Office.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write business reports, equipment specifications and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License, Proof of personal insurance
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and use hands to operate computer keyboard, and telephone. The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position works in a typical office environment with visits to other offices, plants, and job sites. Frequent outdoor travel is required to visit customers. During visits to job sites, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, extreme heat, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only job duties to be performed by the
incumbent. At all times, employees will be required to follow any instructions and to perform any
other duties within this or a lower job level upon the request of the Supervisor. At all times,
employees may also be required to perform higher levels of duties.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
TRANEOREGON is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a workplace environment that encourages growth and respect for all current and prospective employees based on job-related factors, suchas their educational background, work experience, and ability to perform essential functions of a particularjob. It is the policy of TRANEOREGON to prohibit any form of discrimination or harassment based on race,color, age, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran, disability, or any other status protected byfederal, state or local law. Support of and belief in this principal is a basic responsibility of all employees in this office.