Consultant- Housing Energy- Net Zero
- UK Wide, England, United Kingdom
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Advisory
At Turner & Townsend we’re passionate about making the difference. That means delivering better outcomes for our clients, helping our people to realize their potential, and doing our part to create a prosperous society.
Every day we help our major global clients deliver ambitious and highly technical projects, in over 130 countries worldwide.
Our team is dynamic, innovative and client-focused, supported by an inclusive and fun company culture. Our clients value our proactive approach, depth of expertise, integrity and the quality we deliver. As a result our people get to enjoy working on some of the most exciting projects in the world.
Our specialist sustainability and energy team is growing in response to rising demand from social housing providers and public sector organisations. We are looking particularly for individuals with demonstrable industry and project management and/or analytics skills to support investment planning and delivery on the net zero carbon agenda.
We are seeking individuals at Consultant, Senior Consultant or Principal Consultant level
In this role you’ll be at the forefront of the net-zero carbon/energy transition in the UK’s housing and public sectors. The specific roles will be shaped around the individual skills and experience that you bring, with a range of opportunities from developing net-zero energy strategies to project delivery support on some of the UKs most innovative, market shaping projects.
If this sounds interesting, but you’re not sure what consultants do – talk to us. A conversation can lead to amazing places!
Key tasks (not necessarily all in one person)
- To support the analysis of housing providers and public sector organisations’ asset data to benchmark current energy performance and develop investment scenarios to reach energy performance and net zero targets
- To support social landlords and public sector bodies through the delivery journey of their net-zero strategies and investment programmes, including: awareness, interest, business case, decision, procurement, build phase, monitoring and close
- To support development and delivery of low carbon / net zero building retrofit projects
- To support/manage client and partner relationships
- To support the growth of our energy service, the wider Sustainability Team and Turner & Townsend at large
We are looking to add a range of skills and experience to the team, not necessarily all in the same individual, including:
- Organised approach to project management
- Ability to understand and interpret data driven carbon and asset planning, turning data into realisable projects and programmes
- Strong relationship management
- Social landlord/public sector experience and expertise: asset management, finance, development (ideally with specific experience of managing/coordinating capital spend and retrofit projects)
- Construction and manufacturing sector experience
- Construction contract management experience
- New build housing development experience (for potential growth of the role)
- Ability to review, analyse and benchmark energy and carbon performance;
- Ability to identify potential technical solutions;
- Retrofit Coordinator training or other similar energy related qualifications and awareness
- Positive, creative approach
- Self-starter, able to work independently
This role sits within the specialist housing service of T&T’s Sustainability team, which offers a variety of specialist services that you’d be expected to support/lead depending on your areas of experience.
We are working with Local Authorities and Housing Providers across the UK to develop sustainability and energy strategies, addressing the EPC band C and net-zero carbon targets. As organisations progress through their planning cycle to implementation we provide technical, programme and project management support to deliver their projects.
Alongside this consultancy work we run the Mayor of London’s Retrofit Accelerator – Homes. The Accelerator is innovative and ambitious: we aim to kick start a deep retrofit industry in London and the wider UK, achieving a minimum of 60% carbon emissions savings, but aiming for net-zero. Energiesprong UK are a partner on the Accelerator and we are at the forefront of developing the Energiesprong approach.
In summary - this is a role at the heart of one of the UK’s energy transition and some of the most exciting changes in social housing in our generation.
Wider Team Support
In addition to the project specific role outlined above, successful candidates may have the opportunity to support the wider Retrofit Accelerator – Homes programme as well as other commercial activities within the Sustainability Team and Turner & Townsend’s wider business.
Outline of the Team
Our wider Sustainability Team specialises in in helping to measure, manage and reduce energy consumption and associated carbon emissions, as well as wider environmental sustainability considerations.
We run three city region funded accelerator programmes that may offer additional potential for the successful candidate to be involved:
- the Mayor of London’s Retrofit Accelerator – Homes (as described above)
- The Mayor of London’s Retrofit Accelerator - Workplaces (focussed on decarbonising public sector corporate estate – previously RE:FIT)
- The West Yorkshire Combined Authority’s Energy Accelerator (decarbonising homes, workplaces and heat networks).
We also provide wider energy and sustainability consultancy to local authorities and commercial businesses, with current commissions including:
- Environmental strategy for an ambitious £1bn retrofit of a major financial centre tower block
- Implementation of management systems including ISO 50001;
- Sustainability assurance to major infrastructure investments.
Responsibilities and behaviours
As part of the Sustainability Team you will be:
- A cooperative team member supporting senior team members in the successful delivery of projects;
- Capable of independently completing tasks and activities and taking responsibility for your own time management and ability to work towards overall project timescales and potentially tight deadlines;
- Expected to support senior team members in business generation activities where required, such as bid writing and developing marketing material;
- Capable of building strong, professional client relationships and identifying and resolving client’s issues;
- Able to analyse information quickly and efficiently, choose or recommend from a range of options and make decisions where the parameters are unclear and judgement needs to be exercised;
- Aside from accepting personal responsibility for the quality and commercial delivery aspects of your work you will be expected to develop skills and share knowledge within the whole consulting practice;
- Well organised and methodical, with attention to detail
T&T is a leading global property consultancy, with around 3,000 employees in the UK and over 6,000 globally. We are a growing organisation with high ambitions and recently ranked number 1 in the Times PWC Top Track 250. This is a dynamic and innovative company, quick to respond to market trends and with a reputation for quality.
You’ll join a talented team with real breadth to make a positive impact on society. We have friendly team culture and strong support to help shape T&T’s wider response to the climate and ecological emergencies. The Sustainability team at T&T is growing quickly, with lots of opportunities for personal development and the potential to make real impact.
This would be a great opportunity for someone with strong delivery skills and experience who wishes to commit their career to, the field of low carbon ‘retrofit’ – a fast growing area of need and opportunity over the coming years and to be part of the Sustainability growth story for Turner and Townsend.
Diversity & Inclusion Info
- T&T has an inclusive culture with a mix of people and backgrounds and are we are keen to encourage this diversity in bringing new approaches and ideas to clients. We are able to accommodate flexible working patterns where needed and encourage a good work life balance!
We will consider applications from across the UK. The Sustainability Team is currently based in London, so London base is an advantage, however we are keen to grow our regional capacity within proximity to our regional hub offices. Under Covid we have demonstrated effective remote working across the team and this is likely to continue in some shape.