- Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Who we are
Ubisoft Winnipeg is a technology studio with a unique mission: develop new technologies that will change the way we build video game worlds. We are the only Ubisoft studio focused on exploring the unknown to develop technology that empowers game creators—at all Ubisoft Canadian studios—to build even better, more immersive worlds across our major brands such as Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed and Watch Dogs. Our vanguard studio is on the hunt for passionate and experienced innovators to lead our inspired team in the creation of leading-edge technology in one of Canada’s fastest growing cities for game and tech development. Join the family!
Who you are
The Procedural Technical Artist will populate autonomously the game worlds with already produced assets in accordance with the artistic direction and production deadlines. She/he will also create procedural tools for assembling dynamic assets and generating indoor/outdoor layouts. The Procedural Technical Artist will work mostly with Environment & Technical Art, Programming, Concept, Texture, Game and Level design teams to ensure that there are no technical problems met and to streamline the other team members' productivity and creativity.
What you’ll do
- Populate the game worlds with assets (vegetation, rocks, clutter, decals, props etc.), in accordance with the artistic direction and production deadlines;
- Create procedural tools for assembling dynamic assets, generating indoor/outdoor layouts, spreading road networks, rivers, streams etc.
- Apply optimization to her/his work and work within the engine constraints;
- Research and prototype useful methods for automatization of the development of game worlds with Houdini. Constantly keeping up-to-date with the changes in the game technologies;
- Act as a bridge between the Art, the Programming & the other teams in the studio;
- Apply efficiently graphic principles in her/his work;
- Use and look for artistic references - in video games or in other artistic domains - in order to improve the visual aspect of the game;
- Understand and implement the desired gameplay intentions in the game levels he/she's in charge of;
- Be flexible and able to adapt to different technical/engine pipelines.
What you bring
· Bachelor or College Degree in 3D Art or Animation or equivalent training or work experience.
· Minimum 5+ years as a Modeler, Level Artist, SFX Artist, Lighter or Character Modeler in video game.
· Participated in at least 2 full productions cycles.
· Games industry experience is preferred, having shipped title(s) on PS3, 360, PC.
· 3+ years of applicable professional experience as a Procedural Technical Artist/TD/tools programmer.
- Solid experience in Side Effects Houdini in procedural generation of graphical content;
- Understanding and applying the principles of procedural generation of graphical content in the game worlds;
- Understanding of code in Python, Vex or an equivalent language;
- Ability to work with technical constraints and integrate them into the procedural logic and tools;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Good sense of form, shape, silhouette in regards to objects/layouts;
- Be able to anticipate the needs of the level artists in order to streamline their productivity;
- Good English (writing and speaking);
- Ability to think creatively in resolving technical challenges and limitations;
- Ability to manage their own time and work within deadlines;
- Able to work with minimum supervision.
- Solid communication skills and a strong team-player;
- Passion for games and a strong game culture.
What to send our way
· Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills.