- Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery. At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create worlds people will fall in love with. Whether as an elite spy, a master assassin, or a fearless explorer, we put the player at the heart of all our games.
Ubisoft Winnipeg: Our Mission
Ubisoft Winnipeg is the newest addition to the Ubisoft Canadian studios family, a collective of AAA game development teams dedicated to creating immersive, engaging worlds for our players around the world. We are the only Ubisoft studio focused on creating technology to empower our creators – at all of our Canadian studios – to build even better worlds across our major brands such as Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed and Watch Dogs. This leading-edge studio is the vanguard of technology and tool advancement in video game development. We're looking for people who are passionate about technology. They love solving problems. They're adaptable. They're creative. They can find new ways to solve problems that no one has thought of before. They are people from here in Winnipeg, from across Canada and from around the world. We're looking for people from many different industries including: video games, technology, education and more, to build our innovative, diverse and talented team.
The Technical Architect will be a main stakeholder in the implementation of the Winnipeg Studio's strategic vision to create the best tools in the video game industry and enable Ubisoft teams to create larger, more immersive open worlds for our AAA games.
The technical architect will analyze, recommend and/or select the best technical directions in order to maximize the pipeline's efficiency. Possessing an extensive knowledge of the engine code, you will design and implement new and existing systems while providing guidance to the programming team.
As the Architect of the Winnipeg Studio, you will work collaboratively with teams in Ubisoft's studios to fully develop the potential of our game engines and improve the efficiency of the production teams.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time
The main and routine tasks of the technical architect are to:
- Define the technological vision and lead the design of new features and tools when current options do not meet the production's needs;
- Determine the feasibility of any necessary engine and tool enhancements;
- Ensure the coherence, efficiency, scalability, modularity and compatibility of the features developed by the team;
- In collaboration with technical artists, communicate best practices and technical constraints of the engine and tools to team members;
- Act as a point of contact for all technical issues pertaining to the engine and tools;
- Evaluate existing Ubisoft technology and tools--and those of external pipelines--to determine their strengths and weaknesses and recommend those that best meet project objectives and expectations;
- Anticipate technological advances and implement software systems that support and exploit these opportunities;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
- Bachelor of Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent training or experience.
Relevant Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience as a Technical Architect or Director, preferrably in the game industry;
- Demonstrate a passion for video game pipeline and tools development;
- Understand the value of a customer-service and client-focused development approach;
- Experience in multiple aspects of game technology development (audio, 3D, animation, gameplay, UI, network and tools);
- Extensive knowledge of low-level C/C++ programming and debugging;
- Experience with programming and debugging of complex applications;
- Experience with object-oriented programming;
- Experience with multi-platform programming;
- Solid proficiency in multi-threading, performance and optimization techniques;
- Strong understanding of software development processes;
- Strong 3D math;
- Knowledge of refactoring techniques;
- Game industry experience or personal video game projects are a plus.
- Good analytical and synthesis skills;
- Ability to resolve complex issues;
- Autonomy and resourcefulness;
- Attention to detail;
- Flexibility in organizing work;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to adapt to change;
- Results driven.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Bonus (If Applicable)
We hunt for talent from across the industry – seasoned experts that know what it takes to ship world-class games and the next generation of game developer all-stars. We value team chemistry and a desire to grow our studio together. If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
Ubisoft Winnipeg is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. The studio welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.