Special Effects Artist
- Toronto, Canada
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery. At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create worlds people will fall in love with. Whether as an elite spy, a master assassin, or a fearless explorer, we put the player at the heart of all our games.
Established in 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a diverse and vibrant team on a collective mission to create what’s next in AAA open world games. In 2018, the studio shipped Far Cry 5 in collaboration with Ubisoft Montreal, and its first new IP created from the ground-up in Toronto, Starlink: Battle for Atlas. Ubisoft Toronto shipped its first lead production, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™, to critical acclaim in 2013 and has contributed to multiple award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, Watch Dogs®, and For HonorTM.
In 2018, Ubisoft Toronto was named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the fourth consecutive year, one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People, and one of GamesIndustry.biz Best Places to Work.
Special Effects Artist
As the Special Effects Artist, you will be responsible for the design, creation and implementation of basic special effects, while respecting all technological limitations, deadlines, and following the artistic direction of the production.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The main and routine functions of the Special Effects Artist are to:
- Become familiar with game design documents, and identify special effects opportunities and needs;
- Check with programmers to see if the intended effects are viable in the engine, and propose alternative solutions and/or developments where needed;
- Assist with the development of effects tools or other improvements to the effects pipeline;
- Gather reference images/videos matching desired effects, to be approved by the Artistic Director;
- Design, create and implement custom and re-usable “real-time” particle effects for gameplay, cinematics and scripted events;
- Create simulations/animations to be used for gameplay elements;
- Create textures for particles effects and related decals;
- Create effects that respect budget and engine constraints;
- Model special effects elements as needed;
- Place level/character specific effects;
- Check effect quality once imported into the game, and make improvements where needed;
- Obtain feedback/approval of created effects from the Artistic Director, and make improvements where needed;
- Communicate closely and regularly with the Artistic Director, Production Manager, and other departments to ensure a smooth effects pipeline;
- Complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Maintain a clear, methodical system of data storage and retrieval of effects;
- Address bugs identifies by testers or other technicians;
- Log effects-related bugs;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
- College diploma in game-oriented visual effects, or equivalent training.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience creating particle simulations;
- Must be proficient in Photoshop and have a good understanding of 3D animation packages;
- Experience with modeling, texturing, and lighting;
- Knowledge of other visual effects software a plus.
- Good observation and problem solving skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Good sense of dynamic timing;
- Team Player;
- Able to take constructive criticism and keep up with changes;
- Have initiative and be proactive;
- Able to work under pressure;
- Being creative (originality and resourceful in finding solutions).
- Competitive Salary
- Relocation Assistance
- Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Scored by The Economist as the Best City to Live, our studio is located in the trendy Junction Triangle located in West Toronto, close to TTC, the hottest bars and restaurants, and excellent coffee shops. We celebrate successes as a team at our monthly UbiBash events, and invite our families to events throughout the year including our annual Kids Holiday Party and Summer BBQ. We give back to help make our community better through our team volunteer days and fundraising activities. We hold regular game jams to fuel our team’s creativity. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and provides the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development, flexible days, on-site Yoga and Bootcamp classes, fresh fruit, Life Drawing classes, as well as spontaneous team surprises such as Pi Day, Star Wars Day, and Halloween.
We hunt for talent from across the industry – seasoned experts that know what it takes to ship world-class games and the next generation of game developer all-stars. We value team chemistry and a desire to grow our studio together. If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
Ubisoft Toronto is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. The studio welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.