Operations & Maintenance Technician
- Chisago City, MN, USA
- Contract Type: Standard
Veolia is the world's leading environmental services company with ~179,000 employees globally and a 160-year history. We help our customers address their environmental and sustainability challenges in energy, water and waste. That means improving our clients’ energy efficiency, better managing their water and wastewater, and recovering resources from their wastes. We do this in a safe, cost-effective and innovative manner for cities, governments, campuses, businesses, and industries.
Provides day-to-day monitoring and basic plant and pump/booster station operations, routine lab tests and basic corrective and preventative maintenance activities.
1. Operates equipment manually and through instrumentation panels, computer terminals and programmable logic control units following process control procedures. Monitors and observes operating conditions, records observations and data in shift log. Diagnoses basic operational problems and takes corrective action per procedure.
2. Performs routine CLAIR (cleaning, lubrication, adjustment, inspection and minor repair) on machines and related equipment which may include pumps, engines, centrifuges, generators, valves, gates, mixers, conveyors, blowers, dryers, chemical feed, odor control, disinfection equipment, vacuum filters and belt presses. Reports and documents results of work performed and enters into appropriate database. Promptly reports any operational problems with machines or equipment to Lead or Supervisor.
3. Collects water, wastewater, industrial waste, groundwater, sludge, residuals and/or gas samples according to schedule. Performs field tests (chemical, physical and biological) in order to pace chemical dosages for process and odor control units. Prepares chemical solutions, monitors supplies and recommends reorder.
4. Performs routine lab tests and prepares reports per procedure.
5. Performs routine instrument calibration for portable meters including, but not limited to, dissolved oxygen, pH, H2S, percent oxygen, lower explosive limit.
6. Learns to inspect and becomes proficient at mechanical troubleshooting to determine repairs needed. Dismantles equipment to gain access to and repairs defective parts using hand tools, power tools and precision measuring and testing devices. Re-assembles and tests equipment ensuring safe and efficient operating condition is restored. Learns to troubleshoot hydraulic, pneumatic and electronic equipment and instrumentation.
7. Performs manual labor including cleaning equipment, facilities and grounds as required and properly disposes of waste according to safety and environmental policies. Operates vehicles, mobile equipment and material handling equipment for operational and maintenance purposes.
8. Performs facility maintenance and repair and may replace or install light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, damaged glass, windows, doors, partitions, ceiling or floor tiles, door locks, carpet, and/or paint.
9. Learns to estimate time and material costs for various projects. May assist in other areas of facility as directed.
Education / Experience / Background
● High school or GED with the ability to read, write and comprehend English (operational,
process, safety and quality instructions) and be able to carry out verbal and written
● Six months to two years experience in a related position with experience in a similar
environment preferred with ability to comprehend specifications, blueprints and manuals.
● Experience using material handling equipment, pressure gauges and precision measuring instruments.
● Experience using power, pneumatic, hydraulic and hand tools and shop tools such as drill press, band saw, bench grinder, torque wrench preferred.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
● Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
● Some vocational training and mechanical aptitude preferred, with the ability to read, interpret and record data from meters, gauges, scales, panels, computer consoles and other equipment.
● Must have the ability to diagnose basic and routine process and mechanical problems and take remedial corrective action.
● Must have basic computer skills and have ability to operate programs for process control, the Computer Maintenance Management System, and laboratory/industrial pretreatment QA/QC.
● Must consistently demonstrate the ability to learn and independently perform assigned
duties and meet or exceed production and quality goals.
● Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume
additional or new responsibilities readily.
● Must be able to serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call if required by site.
Required Certification / Licenses / Training
● Minimum water/wastewater license as required by regulatory agency at site.
● Must possess a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
● Employee Orientation, Departmental Operating Procedures, Safety, OSHA and Quality
● HAZWOPER (Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response) Level I and II First Responder Certification if required by site. Obtain and maintain minimum water /
wastewater operator state certification.
● Must become proficient in the care and use of all site specific, facility required PPE
(Personal Protection Equipment), including respirators, gas detectors, confined space
● Forklift Certification if required by site.
● Training in operation of mechanical drives, hydraulic pumps and valves, pneumatics,
electronics and control systems.
● Obtain HVAC, Electrician, Plumber’s or other trade License if assigned to that area.
Note: Tech will not perform duties unless properly licensed.
● Training in the use of energy management systems as needed.
● Works toward increasing skills in additional functional areas or in obtaining advanced skills / maintenance certifications.
● May perform more advanced functions as part of training and development.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Include possible work hazards and percent of travel required.
Spends 100% of the time in operations environment. Typically spends 25 – 35% of time exposed to outdoor and sometimes inclement weather. Company service vehicles are used as required. Travels 1 – 2 times per year for company provided training. May be required to travel up to five consecutive days. May serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call.
Possible Work Hazards:
May be exposed to possible operations hazards including fumes, dust, toxic and caustic chemicals, noise, rotating machinery, high pressure and hot and cold temperatures, slippery surfaces, water and electrical hazards.
Amount of time spent – Standing 25%, Walking 75% for as many as five miles per shift.
Requires close visual and hearing observation to detect non-conformance and machine malfunction. Constantly uses hands to finger, handle or feel and frequently reaches with hands and arms. Works in various positions; works on ladders, catwalks, and supports at heights of 50 feet above the ground; and works with hands extended above and below head and body up to 40 minutes using hand tools weighing up to 15 pounds. Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds (occasionally 60 pounds) distances of 10 feet. Occasional
stooping, bending or kneeling and entering confined spaces.
Veolia offers the most complete range of environmental solutions to meet the challenges of cities, governments, campuses, businesses and industries. Our network of talent and hands-on know-how is unique and unrivaled.
We help our customers address their environmental and sustainability challenges in energy, water and waste. That means improving our clients' energy efficiency, better managing their water and wastewater, and recovering resources from their wastes. We do this in a safe, cost-effective and innovative manner for more than 550 communities and more than 30,000 businesses, campuses and organizations throughout North America.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
As an inclusive company, Veolia is committed to diversity and gives equal consideration to all applications, without discrimination.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.