Operator & Maintenance Technician IV
- Orleans, MA, USA
- Contract Type: Standard
Veolia is the world's leading environmental services company with ~179,000 employees globally and a 160-year history. We help our customers address their environmental and sustainability challenges in energy, water and waste. That means improving our clients’ energy efficiency, better managing their water and wastewater, and recovering resources from their wastes. We do this in a safe, cost-effective and innovative manner for cities, governments, campuses, businesses, and industries.
- Under the direction of Project Management, performs work involving the day to day operation and maintenance of the Orleans Wastewater Infrastructure including an SBR Treatment Facility, Collections System and Lift Stations, Aquifer Recharge for effluent disposal and all related, equipment, buildings and grounds.
Nature & Scope-Principal Areas of Responsibilities:
- Performs technical O&M activities related to the water/wastewater facility, independently, including all related infrastructure, equipment, processes and systems
- Performs routine PM activities related to all infrastructure, equipment, processes and systems
- Conducts Wastewater sampling and laboratory monitoring per Project and Regulatory requirements
- Basic instrumentation calibrations and field equipment knowledge.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve basic equipment failures and more advanced treatment/operational issues
- Able to read and understand blueprints (mechanical, structural and electrical)
- Knowledge of both power and control circuits and able to read electrical wiring schematics
- Ability to adjust chemical feeds and processing equipment to maintain compliance
- Assists in ensuring all equipment and processes are well maintained and functioning properly
- Work weekends, holidays, and be on-call on a rotating basis/schedule with fellow operators
- Respond to emergencies, work additional hours as required to complete tasks as/and when needed
- Assists project and department to develop a culture of focus and engagement at the project to achieve EH&S excellence
- Completes and maintains proper operational and maintenance documents and records
- Operates project vehicles, heavy equipment, fork lift, etc.
- Trains and/or assists in the training of new or less experienced employees
- Carries out other duties as assigned
- Candidates must live within 45 minutes of Orleans, MA to respond to emergencies.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb stairs, and sit. Must have manual dexterity. Ability to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. May occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to distinguish color, close vision and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is performed both inside and outside with exposure to all kinds of weather conditions. Incumbent may be occasionally exposed to some noise, silica, dust, fumes, smoke, gases, greases, oils, electrical energy, solvents, and vibrations. Incumbent may work on slippery/uneven surfaces, around machinery with moving parts, moving objects/vehicles, and ladder/scaffolding, below ground and may be exposed to water and other liquid materials.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid MA Grade 3C or higher Wastewater Treatment Operator License required
- Valid MA Driver's license.
Work Experience Needed:
- Minimum 5 years experience working in the water or wastewater industry or related fields.
- Experience in a laboratory or utility related field, or a combination of education and experience required.
Special Skills/Abilities Needed:
- Strong reading, math, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Strong mechanical aptitude and ability to read, interpret, and record data from meters, gauges, scales, panels, computer consoles, and other equipment
- Computer skills, knowledge of Windows, Office, Operations, Lab and CMMS programs, SCADA and PLC equipment and systems
- Troubleshooting/problem solving skills, provides input for corrective actions and implements corrective actions as needed
- Ability to understand/execute written and oral instructions, read/understand technical instructions and manuals
- Working knowledge and skills to operate specialty tools specific to Departmental needs and requirements
- Ability to operate complex controls, processes, and equipment
- Ability to maintain and repair equipment, have a strong mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of wastewater treatment systems, processes and equipment
- Knowledge of wastewater regulations, requirements & reporting
- Must be able to work as a team in a teamwork-oriented environment.
- Must be safety conscious and at times be able to work independently with little/no supervision
- Must be able to work closely with local contractors
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
As an inclusive company, Veolia is committed to diversity and gives equal consideration to all applications, without discrimination.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.