Operator & Maintenance Technician I
- Orleans, MA, USA
- Contract Type: Standard
Veolia Group aims to be the benchmark company for ecological transformation. With nearly 220,000 employees worldwide, the Group designs and provides game-changing solutions that are both useful and practical for water, waste and energy management. Through its three complementary business activities, Veolia helps to develop access to resources, preserve available resources and replenish them. In 2021, the Veolia group provided 79 million inhabitants with drinking water and 61 million with sanitation, produced nearly 48 million megawatt hours and recovered 48 million tons of waste. Veolia Environnement (Paris Euronext: VIE) achieved consolidated revenue of 28,508 billion euros in 2021.
Under the direction of Project Management, performs work involving the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the Orleans Wastewater Infrastructure including an SBR Treatment Facility, Collections System and Lift Stations, Aquifer Recharge for effluent disposal and all related, equipment, buildings and grounds.
Nature & Scope-Principal Areas of Responsibilities:
- Performs technical O&M activities related to the water/wastewater facility, independently, including all related infrastructure, equipment, processes and systems
- Performs routine PM activities related to all infrastructure, equipment, processes and systems
- Conducts Wastewater sampling and laboratory monitoring per Project and Regulatory requirements
- Basic instrumentation calibrations and field equipment knowledge.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve basic equipment failures and more advanced treatment/operational issues
- Able to read and understand blueprints (mechanical, structural and electrical)
- Knowledge of both power and control circuits and able to read electrical wiring schematics
- Ability to adjust chemical feeds and processing equipment to maintain compliance
- Assists in ensuring all equipment and processes are well maintained and functioning properly
- Work weekends, holidays, and be on-call on a rotating basis/schedule with fellow operators
- Respond to emergencies, work additional hours as required to complete tasks as/and when needed
- Assists project and department to develop a culture of focus and engagement at the project to achieve EH&S excellence
- Completes and maintains proper operational and maintenance documents and records
- Operates project vehicles, heavy equipment, fork lift, etc.
- Trains and/or assists in the training of new or less experienced employees
- Carries out other duties as assigned
- Candidates must live within 45 minutes of Orleans, MA to respond to emergencies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb stairs, and sit. Must have manual dexterity. Ability to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. May occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to distinguish color, close vision and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed both inside and outside with exposure to all kinds of weather conditions. Incumbent may be occasionally exposed to some noise, silica, dust, fumes, smoke, gases, greases, oils, electrical energy, solvents, and vibrations. Incumbent may work on slippery/uneven surfaces, around machinery with moving parts, moving objects/vehicles, and ladder/scaffolding, below ground and may be exposed to water and other liquid materials.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid MA Wastewater Treatment Operator License preferred; ability to obtain required
- Valid MA Driver's license.
Work Experience Needed:
- Minimum experience working in the water or wastewater industry or related fields.
Special Skills/Abilities Needed:
- Strong reading, math, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Strong mechanical aptitude and ability to read, interpret, and record data from meters, gauges, scales, panels, computer consoles, and other equipment
- Computer skills, knowledge of Windows, Office, Operations, Lab and CMMS programs, SCADA and PLC equipment and systems
- Troubleshooting/problem solving skills, provides input for corrective actions and implements corrective actions as needed
- Ability to understand/execute written and oral instructions, read/understand technical instructions and manuals
- Working knowledge and skills to operate specialty tools specific to Departmental needs and requirements
- Ability to operate complex controls, processes, and equipment
- Ability to maintain and repair equipment, have a strong mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of wastewater treatment systems, processes and equipment
- Knowledge of wastewater regulations, requirements & reporting
- Must be able to work as a team in a teamwork-oriented environment.
- Must be safety conscious and at times be able to work independently with little/no supervision
- Must be able to work closely with local contractors
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
As an inclusive company, Veolia is committed to diversity and gives equal consideration to all applications, without discrimination.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.