Hadoop Data Engineer
- Palo Alto, CA
ommon Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
TrialPay was acquired by Visa in 2015 for its unprecedented card-linked offer technology that allows merchants to grow their businesses and build stronger customer relationships. Joining our team means
you’ll get the best of both worlds: the culture of a fast-paced startup with the security and scale of a Fortune 500 brand. Now, as part of Visa’s Loyalty & Offers team, TrialPay is devoted to building forward-thinking products to give our partners a leg up. Here’s a sample of what we’ve been working on:
Launched Uber Local Offers in August 2016, a new way for riders to earn discounted rides by simply using the same Visa card on file with Uber at their favorite local merchants
Leveraging Visa data to power our technology and ensure that we’re serving the most relevant, personalized offers to consumers
Driving value to high profile brands including Dunkin Donuts, Outback Steakhouse, Regal Entertainment, and Whole Foods Market.
Building out the best-in-class APIs that accelerate the delivery of merchant solutions and data analytics to fuel business growth and strengthen customer relationships.
You can find out more about our products here: https://usa.visa.com/run-your-business/commercial-solutions/solutions/merchant-loyalty-card-programs.html
We are looking for a strong Data Science expert who will be able to work with our engineering team on designing, developing and delivering predictive analytic capabilities as well as a set of smart reporting tools that will help us extract knowledge from our data. We desire candidates with deep expertise in machine learning or statistics and experience in delivering predictive systems on big data.
We believe that a strong Business Intelligence platform is essential for our success, and therefore we expect you to quickly learn our strategy goals and participate in driving our team forward.
- Work with data team to efficiently use hadoop infrastructure to analyze data, build models, and generate reports/visualizations
- Create and optimized distributed algorithms to scale out recommendation engine
- Integrate massive datasets from multiple data sources for data modeling
- Implement methods for automation of all parts of the predictive pipeline to minimize labor in development and production
- Formulate business problems as technical data problems while ensuring key business drivers are captured in collaboration with product management
- Knowledge in machine learning algorithms especially in recommender systems
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science/Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years of working experience in specifically Hadoop Data Engineering
- Strong grasp of one or more programming languages such as Java, C++, Python etc.
- Strong understanding of algorithms and data structures
- Strong understanding of multi-threading and resource management
- Experience in writing optimized MapReduce code
- Experience working with large datasets in Hadoop (using scripts and tools - Pig/Hive etc.)
- Familiar with machine learning algorithms, including regression, GBM, recommendation systems, clustering, etc.
- Experience working with tabular databases like MySQL
- Strong analytics and problem solving capabilities combined with ambition to solve real-world problems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Competitive salary, comprehensive medical benefits, and 401(k) matching
- Free meals, snacks, beverages, and on-site fitness classes
- Friendly and collaborative open office environment
- Visa stock purchasing plan
- Ping-pong, hackathons, rooftop happy hours, and team-building offsites
- Offices in downtown San Francisco (close to BART) and Palo Alto (close to Caltrain)
- To learn more about us, visit us at: http://www.trialpay.com/about/company/
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.