Director of Corporate LAN Engineering
- Austin, TX
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The “Director, Corporate LAN Engineering” role has overall responsibility and accountability for all aspects of local-area-network routing & switching engineering across Visa’s corporate offices worldwide. This is a critical role that provides leadership and technical expertise for the design and development of all of Visa’s existing/future corporate LANs to deliver best-in-class network availability, resiliency, and performance, leveraging state-of-the-art networking technologies.
This position reports to the Vice President of End User Technology. The successful candidate will lead a network engineering team and work closely with the Global Network Architecture within Visa’s Global Infrastructure Network Services organization and the Client Server and Client Compute teams within Corporate IT.
This is an exciting opportunity for a technology leader to make key contributions to help transform Visa’s global networks toward next-generation capabilities. The Corporate LAN team is an integral component of the Corporate IT organization.
Job Scope & Responsibilities:
The scope of the role includes all aspects of network engineering related to the corporate main campuses and remote offices worldwide, including the wired and wireless (WiFi) LANs and the VPN infrastructure for employee remote access. The team is responsible for designing and implementing the routing and switching infrastructure for the campus offices, including defining and documenting the requirements, selecting the vendors, specifying the equipment, protocols, and configurations, developing the implementation plans, and providing 3rd-level operational support. The team also participates in proof-of-concept and prototype testing in partnership with vendors and the Network Architecture team.
The Corporate LAN Engineering team is responsible for all aspects of the infrastructure and technology used in the corporate office environment, and as a result, the Director position requires broad network expertise diverse areas such as IP routing, Ethernet switching, IP/MPLS, routing protocols, IPSec, WiFi, VPN, and SDN. The successful candidate will provide technical leadership and direction in terms of how best to invest in network assets and leverage vendor capabilities. S/He will develop and implement new initiatives to reduce cycle times and increase reliability, stability, security, and service agility for Visa’s corporate network.
More specifically, the primary responsibilities include the following:
- Mentor, manage, and motivate a high-performing team of engineers and set clear priorities to achieve team goals and KPIs.
- Manage the evolution of the corporate network infrastructure, develop annual capital budget, and work with stakeholders to plan and procure the equipment needed for future projects.
- Allocate resources to incoming workflow and resolve resource contention to ensure that project requirements are met.
- Drive innovation and adoption of new technologies and tools, implement capability improvements, evaluate new vendors, and assist in technology trials.
- Ensure that information security and risk management are embedded within the culture, requiring continuous improvement to a complex set of functions to coordinate security and compliance risks related to information systems and assets.
- Drive coordination, consensus, and execution to meet objectives in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Determine need for new products and systems based on budget, client needs, and improvements in technology.
- Provide subject matter expertise and support to Corporate IT teams as needed.
- Lead development of innovation and strategic direction in application of theories and concepts in data network design, configuration, administration, maintenance, testing, monitoring, and/or support.
- Work closely with other departments to proactively ensure network engineering capabilities are capable of handling emerging and future business requirements.
- Ensure service level targets are met, and address all service-level complaints.
- Ensure network engineering processes are conducted according to corporate standards, and in compliance with external standards as defined in company objectives (e.g., ITIL, COBIT, ISO27001/27002 and similar).
- Participate in disaster recovery/business continuity activities, as needed.
- Document and publish performance metrics and KPIs.
- Comfort in working through corporate culture with purpose and energy to promote a unified approach.
- Provide subject matter expertise in interactions with partners and customers, program manage collaboration projects externally and internally.
The ideal candidate is a network engineering leader with substantial experience in network design, configuration, operations, and administration and strong leadership skills. S/He will have relevant experience within a large, complex technology services organization.
The following qualifications are required for the role:
- Prior experience as a manager or senior individual contributor in a network engineering or testing team, implementing next-generation network designs to support large-scale deployments for high-volume, high-availability consumer-facing and/or B2B network interactions.
- Prior experience in improving stability of complex enterprise or carrier networks.
- Prior experience in re-engineering or testing complex Internet architectures for latency-sensitive business services.
- Prior experience in working with highly-effective engineering and operations teams through major technology transitions in multi-vendor environments.
- Proven track record of driving change and transformation in network engineering technologies, tools, and processes through metrics-driven, KPI-based methodologies, and an evidence-based continuous improvement approach to best meet business objectives and priorities.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of networking technologies and solid understanding of the software-defined networking (SDN) ecosystem.
- Hands-on experience in designing and deploying large scale-out network technologies.
- Experience in managing cost-reduction programs.
- Excellent communicator and able to drive consensus across diverse/global technology teams.
- Must have strong and pragmatic views about open standards and with supporting evidence.
- Demonstrated experience of metrics-driven management with accountability.
- Demonstrated understanding of tools and technologies in network engineering and operations ecosystem.
- Demonstrated consistent and steady growth in career.
- Strong business acumen with experience developing and managing capital budgets.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in engineering or related field.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.