Staff Software Engineer
- Foster City, CA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
“Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.”
- Write software code that complies with design specifications and meets security and Java/J2EE best practices that will meet development and support requirements.
- Create design components, develop code and test changes utilizing test-driven development. Coding must adhere to department standards, be easily maintainable, and have high system performance.
- Write automated test cases to test your code.
- Use a variety of tools to perform unit testing, regression testing, automated builds, and source control.
- Develop close working relationships with members of teams within the organization.
- Become knowledgeable of Visa's core technology, infrastructure and standards.
- Design and develop new systems as well as enhancements and fixing defects to existing software.
- Design technology solutions that are capable of integrating with a variety of protocols (e.g. MQ, SOAP, Rest, File Transfer).
- Serve as a point contact for onshore and offshore development teams.
- Participate as a team member in agile teams and work with the product owner to review user stories, estimate and create sprint backlogs, participate in sprint reviews, demos and retrospectives.
- Interface with other groups to develop and implement solutions.
- Support and maintain web and SOA based applications critical to the day-to-day functions of global business units.
- Participate in the development and implementation phases of projects to integrate regional applications into global platforms.
- Conduct peer code reviews with team members and third party vendors.
- Review implementation plans and participate and even be able to manage product installations.
- Validate successful introduction of newly deployed products and feature sets to the market.
- Write and maintain architecture and design documentation.
- Bachelors/Degree in Computer Science or other technology field; Typically requires 8+ years of experience in delivering enterprise-class, mission-critical, commercial, and scalable products.
- 2-3 years’ experience with Agile Scrum development methodologies.
- Hands on experience with Continuous Integration, and Test Driven Development.
- 2-3 years demonstrated experience with n-tier web application development and experience in latest JDK and earlier releases. Must be able to articulate experience with many of the major Java APIS (e.g. JMS, JPA, JNDI, EJB, RMI, JAX, etc.); J2EE certification a Plus.
- Experience with Spring Framework, Hibernate and Struts MVC.
- Experience with web services standards and related technologies (XML, JSON, REST, SOAP, WS*, AXIS, JERSEY).
- Demonstrable experience utilizing object-oriented patterns and design best practices.
- Experience working with a variety of Applications Servers and Databases (Primarily WebSphere, Tomcat, Oracle and DB2).
- Experience integrating with asynchronous messaging systems such as MQ Series.
- Excellent process orientation and exhibited planning, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex software development/design issues using clean, coherent code following established coding guidelines.
- Ability to understand systems from all levels: from the "big picture" enterprise-level view to the low level technical view.
- Ability to write technical design and build documentations for all aspects of a technical infrastructure.
- Broad background and solid understanding of N-tier open architectures including understanding of presentation, business, and persistence services.
- Experience with lightweight and/or agile development methodologies, and with the realities of commercial software engineering.
- Significant development experience in a cross-platform, multisite environment.
- Exposure to and familiarity with creating enterprise-class software applications delivery through the web.
- Experience with architecting and developing solutions for highly scalable, highly available systems to high security infrastructure-coding standards.
- In-depth knowledge of software development life cycle.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills and the ability to present complex ideas in a clear, concise way.
- Ability to understand systems from the enterprise-level view to the code.
Bachelor's/Master's Degree in Computer Science or other technology field; Typically requires 8+ years of experience in Java/J2ee delivering enterprise-class, mission-critical, commercial, and scalable products.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.