Sr Director Data Serving Platforms (REF4225N)
- Palo Alto, CA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Forget the buzzwords and conferences. Come to VISA because you want to use data
to do the right thing. Data is how you will block thieves from stealing your
mom's money off her credit card. Data is how you will influence the billions
that use VISA cards everyday. Data is why your inner software ninja will get to work
in this era defined by a revolution in open-source data technologies.
VISA is a strong leader in the payment industry, and is going through a technology transformation to power our payments systems. For a payment system to work well, advanced technologies such as data oriented APIs, data reporting applications, big data, data mining, machine learning are critical. In VISA, we leverage all of these and in the process of building more. The Data Platform Department is in the center for many of these technologies and development.
The Senior Director of Data Serving within this department will be focussed on delivering data in various ways. Today these methods include web apis, web applications and batch-oriented applications. He will work with his team that is split across Bangalore, India and Palo Alto, California to achieve these goals. Key aspects of the data serving is monetized already and we will continue along that direction and build newer and more innovative services as we go. You can read about some of these data services at https://developer.visa.com/ and https://developer.visa.com/apibrowser/
- Build, grow, and lead a high performance group to develop end to end technical solutions while fostering innovation, leveraging new technologies, and strong customer centered service mindset.
- Develop strategies and roadmaps to meet business objectives with existing or emerging technologies in your area.
- Responsible for the overall development life cycle of the products and services in the Data Serving and Platforms area.
- Apply creative thinking/approach to determine technical solutions that further business goals and align with corporate technology strategies, keeping in mind performance, reliability, scalability, usability, security, flexibility, and cost.
- Provide resource plans, budget tracking and forecasting. Manage the team to achieve target scope, schedule and cost objectives.
- Instill best practices for software development. Drive for engineering excellence including automation, quality, efficiency, and productivity. Provide technical guidance to the team including architecture, design, and code reviews.
- Project task prioritization, planning of projects and features, stakeholder management and tracking of external commitments.
- Operational Excellence: monitoring & operation of production services including understanding user experience and ensuring happy customers through partnering with your product support team.
- Bachelor degree or higher in a technical field such as computer science and computer engineering.
- Experience demonstrating strong leadership, self-motivation, accountability, and team player.
- 10+ years of experience managing and leading development teams .
- 10+ years of hands on software development experience.
- Strong business and technical vision.
- Technical background in data with deep understanding of issues in multiple areas such as data management, data analysis, query processing, distributed processing, high availability, statistical, data mining, machine learning and operational excellence of production systems.
- Strong at technical goal setting for a project with actionable success metrics. Good knowledge and experience on measuring a service from a user experience angle.
- Strong at identifying problems, solving complex problems with simple solutions.
- Think strategically. See patterns and relationships in information and events; clarify and simplify complex information; anticipate trends and possibilities that may lead to new business opportunities; consistently think and act “ahead of the curve;” anticipate and effectively respond with urgency to immediate opportunities; executes plans vigorously and with flexibility; operate proactively; identify and address long-term opportunities.
- Ability to represent technical and business issues and solutions to multiple levels internally and externally to support organizational plans.
- Ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional collaboration and partnership skills with the ability to work in a global environment and drive consensus in cross-functional teams.
- Personal characteristics include a natural intellectual curiosity, thrives in fast-paced environments, natural ability to form partnerships and collaborates well across a diverse work group.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills. In particular, a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels internally and externally.
- Strong customer-centric mindset.
- Experience in building shared services and platforms within an organization is a plus
- Payment industry experience is a plus
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.