Coordinator, Government Relations
- San Francisco, CA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
“Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.”
The Coordinator, State Government Relations – will report to the Senior Directors for State Relations based in San Francisco and Washington DC. The role itself will be based in San Francisco. The successful candidate will be a self-starter with strong organizational, verbal and writing skills, comfortable covering multiple assignments including effectively and professionally interacting with local and state level policy makers, their staff and industry colleagues. S/he should have working in the public, private, or not-for-profit sectors, ideally with a focus on government relations or public policy issues.
This position will be involved in all aspects of Visa’s government relations work, including providing essential support to our state government relations team, select Visa executives, as well as working with consultants and, efficiently managing and interacting with a number of trade associations, and state and local level policy organizations. The job will include advocacy writing to further Visa’s policy agenda, executive correspondence and assisting with both administrative and compliance responsibilities relating to our advocacy work. The role includes a broad range of project and issue management work related to state and local government engagement combined with direct stakeholder interaction.
Candidates should be comfortable with a fair amount of travel to support Visa State and local Government Relations team and executives at conferences and meetings around the U.S. This could be up to 50% of the time in domestic travel.
This primary support and entry level-advocacy role is a great development opportunity for someone with a can-do attitude who has achieved a solid foundation in public policy and is now seeking to grow and learn in a fast-paced work environment on a highly efficient team of government relations professionals.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Supporting engagement with local and state level policy makers in-state, and at third-party organization meetings.
- Supporting and managing membership organizations and trade associations to help advance Visa’s policy agenda.
- Providing effective and professional level interaction and issue education for state and local level policymakers.
- Interacting and working collaboratively with industry colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Assist with compliance requirements related to state level advocacy efforts.
- Writing, including advocacy content development and production of periodic government relations reports to internal stakeholders, including biweekly and monthly activity reports for executives and other employees.
- Support Visa’s legislative agenda by helping prepare policy briefings, position papers and presentations.
- Monitor and coordinate legislative tracking and meeting engagements.
- Coverage and reporting of external hearings and meetings in support of Visa’s public policy engagement.
- Assist with special projects including presentations to executives; research on policy initiatives, and support of external advocacy-related events.
• A minimum of 3-4 years of experience working on policy and business issues in the private sector or in government.
• Outstanding written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills.
• Good familiarity with the legislative and regulatory process.
• Ability to exercise good judgment regarding information, which may be confidential or material, non-public.
• Proven ability to operate effectively and efficiently in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to multi-task and independently manage and prioritize work, while meeting key deadlines.
• Strong attention to detail with a focus on high quality work and consistent performance over time is essential.
• Exercise good judgment in setting priorities and interacting with internal and external contacts.
• Excellent relationship management skills and ability to work collaboratively with others.
• Proven experience acting in a proactive, solutions oriented manner, looking for ways to add value and assist the team.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially, PowerPoint, and Word) and SharePoint (all applicants subject to Microsoft skills testing).
If interested, please submit both your resume and writing sample for consideration.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.