Staff Database Engineer - REF4307E
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
This is a software development role, specialising in the design, implementation, deployment and maintenance of database tables and code, as part of overall enterprise applications. The individual should be well versed in database design and development practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database implementation in various applications used by different business lines.
This is an individual contributor role responsible for implementing business solutions and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. This role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works as part of a software team in waterfall and agile environments.
- Participate in software requirements analysis, design, implementation, testing and maintenance as part of a software project delivery team.
- Work closely with other software engineers, infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of business solutions.
- Provide technical expertise to design efficient and cost effective solutions for SQL database systems. This may include building a solution in prototype and taking it live through a formal project life cycle.
- Where necessary, provide database engineering support for databases in various environments including development, QA, performance, pre-production.
- Proactive and reactive analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated (level 3) issues.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
- Automate deployment and configuration management as part of application software solutions.
- Be the subject matter expert for the technical and business logic implemented in the existing application codebase.
- Write and maintain design, systems and operations documents.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Team member experience in a software engineering project, either using waterfall or agile development methodology.
- 8 years of database design and stored procedure programming experience with Microsoft SQL Server.
- Strong knowledge and extensive experience with Microsoft SQL server technologies: SSMS, SQL clustering, data synchronization, encryption, partitioning, performance, security, SSIS and SSRS configuration.
- Sound knowledge of all windows and SQL utilities; strong Powershell knowledge and experience is a plus.
- Solid understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Solid knowledge in database replication technologies including Always-on, GoldenGate, etc. and strong architectural/engineering skills to design applications that meet various High Availability and Disaster Recovery requirements.
- Good engineering skills in developing enterprise solutions to support MSSQL in areas like backup, monitoring/alerting, security compliance, patching, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a cross-geography, matrixed project team, able to work flexible hours, primarily to attend remote meetings in the late evenings and early mornings.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- A good team player, leader, flexible, shares knowledge, helps others, collaborates well within and outside the team.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.