Country Manager, Singapore and Brunei & Regional Client Management
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Country Manager has overall management responsibility for all aspects of Visa’s Singapore and Brunei business operations, which includes managing relationships with financial institution clients, merchants and regulators, developing and implementing business strategies, leading business operations and managing a team of 9. This individual will have overall P&L responsibility for the Visa business in markets, and will be expected to effectively develop local initiatives and deploy Visa’s global solutions in Singapore and Brunei to strengthen Visa’s client and other partnerships and drive local and regional business growth.
Group Country Manager, Southeast Asia Regional, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand (SMT)
Total staff responsibility for 6 staff
Other key relationships:
Group Executive, Asia Pacific
Country Managers: Southeast Asia
Southeast Asia and AP Regional Functional Leads (including Product, Marketing, Merchant Sales and Solutions, Finance, Strategy, Business Planning & Operations, Government Relations, Risk, Legal, HR, Client Support Services)
Strategic and Operational Leadership
• Design and execute strategies for key business initiatives in Singapore and Brunei, including market expansion, payment product development and innovation, and local processing.
• Monitor the local development of various industries including payments, banking and financial services, and technology/big data for trends and other factors with the potential to impact Visa’s current and future business in Singapore, Brunei and across Asia Pacific.
• Identify success factors for business growth, develop tactical plans to achieve defined goals, and design and implement effective sales strategies.
• Identify and prioritize new business opportunities in market and determine the appropriate level of resource investment to pursue effectively.
• Lead Visa’s strategy with government, central bank and other regulatory institutions within Singapore and Brunei. Engage these entities effectively to maximize Visa’s influence within the electronic payments industry.
• Maintain a keen focus on a well-developed operational controls environment and that a strict adherence to Visa compliance practices is maintained at all times.
• Focus on achieving business targets through growing the existing business, identifying new business opportunities and producing and implementing new products and services across the markets.
• Monitor business results of individual banks, anticipate challenges and take proactive measures to accomplish targets.
• Broadly represent Visa across multiple areas from sales to regulatory affairs to corporate and social responsibility by speaking at conferences and business forums and undertaking media/public relations activities to drive positive perceptions of the company.
Client and Stakeholder Partnerships
• Develop, cultivate and maintain close relationships with client CEOs and management teams, decision-makers and other influencers within Visa’s client banks, national banking association and partner companies. Be aware of their views on the current state and future prospects for the payments industry, banking and financial services industry, and technology innovation.
• Understand clients’ unique strategies, priorities, needs and decision making processes and adapt Visa’s approach to dealing with each client appropriately.
• Share Visa’s views on industry developments with clients and merchants and articulate how Visa products, processing and services can enhance their business results. Engage regulators and other government entities around Visa’s ability to drive stronger economic growth, business innovation and financial inclusion.
• Constantly assess Visa’s client and merchant relationships for ways in which Visa can strengthen its partnerships and drive stronger growth, ensuring that account plans are up to date with current priorities and opportunities, aligned with Visa’s functional priorities.
• Lead local client sales, including the design, negotiation and successful signing of long-term partnership agreements; manage the sales team to achieve agreed corporate objectives.
• Understand and articulate how Visa differs from its competitors in terms of business strategies and capabilities, product positioning and pricing, and ability to drive client performance.
• Lead Visa’s local team, managing Visa’s current talent and hiring new staff to expand the team’s capabilities. Actively engage employees with exceptional communications skills and commitment.
• Work directly with global functions (finance, product, marketing, government relations, corporate relations etc.), to ensure that each function supports the strategic agenda of the markets.
• Model collaboration and influence across functions and geographies, with a constant focus on driving strong results for the broader organization.
• Ensure that cross-divisional teams are fully aligned and briefed about clients’ and business partners’ environment; ensure that strategic plans for the market are developed in conjunction with, understood and shared by the supporting functions within Visa.
• Attract, develop and retain outstanding talent. Ensure appropriate succession planning is in place for key roles, maximize employee engagement and ensure all staff have meaningful development plans.
• A minimum of 15 years of experience in financial services and payments, including roles with profit and loss responsibility.
• Extensive experience in the banking/financial services sector with strong knowledge of payment industry products, services and technologies, eCommerce and mobile technology.
• International experience ideally within a complex, matrix management organization.
• Experience in client-facing roles with multiple key clients and stakeholders, including financial institutions (banks), multinationals, governments, local partners, etc.
• Broad-based functional background emphasizing sales and marketing with proven negotiation and client management skills.
• Innovative and agile with ability to adapt to market needs and changing environment.
• Ability to make and build strong connections with government and regulators in markets.
• Strong commercial and financial acumen.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to navigate ambiguity and drive positive outcomes.
• Cultural sensitivity and global mindset.
• Minimum degree level qualification, MBA preferred.
• Intelligent, motivated and self-starter.
• Stature, gravitas, reputation and professional attitude.
• Highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity. Proven operator in line with the following key attributes; ability to develop strong client partnerships, highly innovative & collaborative, integrity, focus on people development.