Senior Director - Innovation Development
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Visa Innovation Center focuses on building technology for the next generation of payments. We work on solving hard problems of the future in IoT, Blockchain, NLP, Mobile, Front-end, Machine Learning, and Data Analytics. We are looking for a hands-on expert level Engineering Manager to help lead the development of some very innovative products and pilots. We have multiple Innovation Centers globally including Singapore, London, Dubai, San Francisco, and this role will form part of the global team focused on internal innovation at Visa.
This role requires quick problem solving skills, logical thinking, and application of programming techniques to design, build, and maintain code. Deep knowledge of computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms is a must. In addition to the technical skill set, the candidate will be a self-starter, results-driven, and equipped with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Successful candidate will have several years of front-line management experience leading teams of software engineers.
This role has some customer facing aspects, given the Innovation Center hosts clients and co-creations where the technical team is also involved.
The Sr. Director, Innovation Development is a leadership role, and the successful candidate will lead development of several innovation projects simultaneously. These projects will be instrumental in making an impact on Visa, and the payments industry as a whole.
• Be at the heart of developing new ideas into demo-able products by working closely with advanced technology and high profile IP
• Work alongside and collaborate with UX, engineering, and partner teams to deliver products, features, services, and tools
• Drive rapid prototyping cycles from technical requirements, software designs, programming, debugging, and optimization
• Consult on a regular basis with leadership to align expectations and deliverables
• Be scrappy and leverage the small team to the fullest to work on multiple parallel POCs and incubation efforts.
• Work collaboratively across team boundaries to share common infrastructure and functional capabilities. Provide feedback into core product teams to influence their roadmap and strategy.
• MS or BS in Computer Science or equivalent
• 15 years of hands-on development experience
• 10 years of engineering leadership experience at Director or VP level
• Recruit and manage a world class software engineering team
• Look after product development from concept to pilot phases
• Drive timely and quality delivery of product development using Scrum/Kanban approach
• Provide technical direction, guidance, and hands-on management.
• Expert level skills in Java / C# / C++
• In-depth knowledge of data structures implementation and optimization
• Expert level skills in multi-threading, concurrency, and error-handling
• Expert level skills in implementing design patterns (singleton, facade, factory, observer etc.)
• Experience building enterprise scale web services (RESTful), and their scalability, resiliency, and availability
• Experience building application frameworks or reusable components
• Experience in network programming (Sockets) to build service self-healing
• Experience implementing multiple cross cutting concerns and non-functional requirements using aspect oriented programming (viz. aspectJ)
• Demonstrated proficiency in troubleshooting, root-cause analysis, application design, and implementing large components for enterprise projects
• Outstanding executive communication skills as a spokesperson for Innovation & Strategic Partnerships within Visa and across the industry to influence, educate and evangelize industry stakeholders with commercial outcomes
• Demonstrated capabilities in client engagement at C-level – communication, presence, and thought leadership
• Strategic, analytical thinker who consistently challenges the status quo and constructively challenges the team to aim for higher ground; change agent
• Experience in building ODATA compliant REST services
• Experience in language features such as lambda expressions, generics, and streams
• Experience in working on cryptography and Bluetooth based transmission protocols
• Experience in IoT, NFC, Bluetooth LE, machine learning / data science, NLP
• Experience in payments tech industry