Senior Software (Big Data) Engineer
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Responsibilities - in this role you will:
- Be responsible for the delivery of software solutions using Big Data and/or Open source technologies for core engines that power the Merchant Data Platform
- Develop innovative search algorithms using machine learning, NLP and information retrieval techniques to improve the quality of Visa's Merchant data
- Build highly scalable solutions that can crunch millions of rows of information to detect and
retrieve attributes from transactional and non-transactional sources
- Apply software development patterns and best practices via examples and shipping code
- Ensure that your development follows a common set of principles and patterns and utilize a standard set of technology frameworks and libraries
- Work within a highly-skilled team along with Engineering Managers to develop highly visible, industry leading solutions
- Provide guidance to less experienced team members. Review and evaluate codes developed by junior members to ensure we develop only highest-quality code
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong background in search engines, natural language processing, text processing and mining is required
- Strong hands-on Big Data development experience including tuning your solution, debugging, performance testing etc., is required
- Be able to design scalable, configurable, and maintainable code for complex business problems
- Be able to migrate existing functionality to new platforms, frameworks and maintain backward compatibility where possible
- Quality software engineering background with development knowledge in multi-tier enterprise architecture
- Experience with open source tools and modules for testing, integration & deployment
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science with minimum 3+ years of experience in software development
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.