Big Data Application Program Analyst
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Merchant Data Platform as part of the Data Product Development is responsible for delivering the Information for value added information products and services capability for our client’s.
In this role, you will be
- Developing new capabilities on the merchant platform, develops and execute applications using the high quality Merchant data in our consolidated Merchant warehouse
- Responsible for developing robust solutions that guarantee a highly available, accurate, current and complete representation of Merchant data in all of Visa’s merchant warehouses
- Responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions.
- Serving as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations
- Participating in the data analysis and lead implementation of new programs and subprograms, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing software and analytics systems
Day-to-day responsibilities will require that you
- Participate in interaction with business units to define requirements/modifications for use in designing appropriate solutions
- Evaluate options and provide recommendation on scope and scale of effort required to develop
- Provide third-level technical and data support to technical teams within Visa to support the implementation of modifications and/or new solutions
- Troubleshoot and conduct root cause analysis to address reporting issues with accuracy or performance
- Perform data analysis and write software code that complies with design specification and code software solutions to meet development and support deliverables
- Document work and maintain development and support artifacts
- Lead data analysis efforts for critical Merchant data assets and develop new data assets and dimensions using existing and new data sources
- Monitor performance and data quality of existing assets, triage issues and work with business users in re-mediating data quality issues caused by 3rd-party data
- This position involves significant communication with customers, and thus you'll be required to participate in the impact/GAP analysis, review of business requirements, estimate work effort on new projects, create design components, and develop code and testing changes
- Coding must adhere to department standards, be easily maintainable, and have good system performance
- Working directly with development team leads to develop data solutions, monitoring frameworks and data analysis for a large scale application
- Participating in data analysis activities, testing frameworks, and other related items in addition to contributing product code
- Working closely with other project team members and may be required to interface with other groups to develop and implement solutions
To be considered for this role, we require you to have or bring with you:
- Bachelors/Degree in Computer Science or other technology field or equivalent experience; typically requires a minimum of 5+ years’ experience in data analysis, reporting, software design and development
- Large volume data processing using Big Data infrastructure is required. Experience in analyzing, defining and processing complex transforms, rule driven business logic, parameterized processing of business data sets is required
- Big data development on large Hadoop clusters using Pig, Hive, Map/Reduce, H-Base, No SQL DBs or equivalent is required
- Ability to analyze complex business logic for matching, linking multiple data sources and deriving new attributes from the data processed
- Strong background in SQL, data analysis, data modeling, reporting, application frameworks or equivalent is required
- Strong knowledge of UNIX and Windows based operating systems is required
- Strong data analysis and data validation skills are mandatory. Ability to analyze, process and present very large data sets and present data variations/discrepancies to a technical and business users is required
- Detail-oriented nature with above-average problem solving and data analysis skills
- The ability to learn new technologies and work on very complex problems
- Strong experience in reporting tools and solutions like MicroStrategy, Tableau, Cognos, Excel, MS Access or equivalent is required
- Strong proficiency of Microsoft Office tools (e.g. writing excel macros, pivot tables etc.) is mandatory
- Strong communication and presentation skills with ability to present data analysis results to various levels of management is required
- Knowledge of payments industry, merchant domain is a plus
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.