Director, Program Governance & Controls (REF7230W) - Digital and Mobile Product Development (DMPD)
- Foster City, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team.
As a global payments technology company, technology is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working
with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world.
If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously
raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere ou want to be.
Within Technology & Operations, Digital & Mobile Product Development (DMPD) is a global division of over 650 team members responsible for developing and managing end-to-end technology solutions that promote the growth of digital commerce and mobilization of payments in emerging and developed markets. A globally distributed team, DMPD encompasses Product Development, Business Operations, Architecture, and Test, Release & Support Engineering functions.
Reporting to the Senior Director of the DMPD Business Operations department, the Director will be responsible for the overall operational effectiveness and support of day-to-day activities in the organization and will lead a team responsible for the management of program planning, governance, and controls activities for DMPD. The Director will be accountable to provide strategic and tactical program management support for assigned DMPD programs including and ensuring that DMPD’s programs and projects are funded, planned, managed, and governed in a consistent, transparent, and disciplined manner. Further, the Director will ensure the right audits and controls are in place to reduce risk. In collaboration with product development vertical program and project managers, his/her responsibilities will include program oversight and governance; audits, and controls; annual planning and approval to spend processes; workforce and vendor management; resource and financial
planning and management; risk management; compliance with program management methodologies
and best practices; and executive program reporting.
The position requires an experienced program and business management professional with the right mix of relevant experience and skills, an ability to flex between the strategic and the tactical, outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and a high level of energy and flexibility to get things done and thrive in a fast-paced, team-based product development environment. The Director will be a program management leader who embodies Visa’s leadership principles of leading by example, communicating openly, enabling and inspiring others, exceling with partners, acting decisively, and collaborating effectively.
- Drive efficiencies and effectiveness of end to end program management practices for Digital & Mobile Product Development’s (DMPD’s) programs and projects across its product development vertical teams in collaboration with the program and project managers responsible for program execution and delivery
- Ensure that each program and project consistently complies with Visa’s Project Management Methodology (PMM), Key Controls, DMPD’s Agile Product Development Framework, and internal and external audit requirements and standards, as well as industry best practices
- Collaborate effectively with Visa’s Technology Planning & Business Operations function in the Office of the EVP of Technology & Operations in providing DMPD’s executive-level updates on program status, risks and issues using Clarity and other tools on behalf of the program teams. Ensure that the content and format meets the high standards and tone appropriate for business and technology executives.
- Partner effectively with Visa Sourcing, Technology Planning & Business Operations office, and our preferred staffing vendors for the procurement of resource augmentation with contingent staff
- Partner effectively with Visa Sourcing and the Operations & Infrastructure (O&I) business office for the procurement of hardware, software, subscriptions and renewals for the DMPD teams.
- Partner effectively with Corporate Facilities to plan and manage the logistical requirements for on-boarding, off-boarding, workstation and desk assignment, and any re-stacking exercises
- Collaborate effectively with DMPD’s Finance Business Partner to forecast, report and present program financials to the DMPD Leadership team. Allocate and forecast DMPD resources for each program using the Clarity tool based on input from program and resource managers and in alignment with the Work Force Plan.
- Lead annual planning activities for each program including the scheduling of business roadmap reviews, collecting high-level estimates from the program teams, and ensuring the resource capacity alignment meets the headcount and financial targets. Support completion of the Approval to Spend (ATS) forms and Charter packages for the Business Owners and program teams.
- Provide consultation, support and coaching to program teams in the effective management of programs and financials based on the best practices established in the PMO’s playbook, Visa’s program management methodologies, and industry best practices
- Collaborate with program teams to maintain and store meticulous records of project artifacts, program financials, issues, risks, decisions, and schedules, etc. Ensure each program is prepared for internal or external audits at any time.
- Serve as an escalation point on program management practices for program and project managers, product owners, and development managers budget, purchase requisitions, risks or issue management, etc.
- Identify, evaluate, recommend, document, and communicate best practices and operating models for each program in partnership with Portfolio Management and vertical program management teams. This requires an ability to analyze the “as is” state, identify best practices based on Visa and best practice industry standards, recommend the ideal “to be” state for the process, create all necessary templates and tools, document, communicate, train and mentor teams based on the process and operating “playbook.”
- Determine requirements and standards, implement, and maintain divisional and program document repositories and systems to facilitate cross-team, cross-division collaboration using SharePoint and other collaboration tools including Confluence.
- Provide backup support to other program managers or the team’s manager, as required, as a member of a close-knit team.
- 10+ years of program management, business planning and/or operations experience, including at least 3 years of experience leading and managing complex, cross-organizational technology programs and projects is critical, preferably in a scaled Agile development environment.
- Demonstrated people leadership abilities, as evidenced by a minimum of 3 years’ experience directly managing people, including hiring, retaining, mentoring and developing direct reports.
- Direct relevant experience in a Program Management Office (PMO) at Visa or in a larger, leading technology, payments, and/or financial services company is highly preferred. Knowledge of Visa’s annual planning, financial management, sourcing and procurement, internal audit, compliance, and related technical and business processes based on prior Visa experience would be helpful.
- Demonstrated knowledge of program and project management methodologies and best practices, software and product development lifecycles (SDLC/PDLC) required. Strong process orientation and demonstrated ability to define and document new or improved portfolio and program management processes, templates and tools, and create a wide variety of reporting mechanisms for leadership, stakeholders, and team members.
- Prior experience preparing for and participating in various external (e.g., FFIEC) and internal audits, working with internal risk, compliance, and business continuity teams is highly preferred.
- Highly proficient written communication, analytical and problem-solving skills. Highly skilled in the creation of presentations, new reporting mechanisms and other documents. High level of attention to detail, including the ability to assess, and synthesize large amounts of content and data related to program status, issues, risks, dependencies, and schedules and distill it in crisp, clear language appropriate for a variety of audiences including technology and business executives.
- Highly developed analytical, strategic-thinking, problem-solving, and organizational skills as well as the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities, assignments, and roles.
- Excellent verbal communication, presentation, collaboration and teamwork skills with demonstrated ability to gain trust, secure buy-in and influence change at all levels. An ability to influence
without direct authority, as well as demonstrate an appropriate level of assertiveness, is critical.
- Demonstrated thought leadership and aptitude to think creatively and strategically in identifying new and improved processes, services, and ways of collaborating more effectively with stakeholders and partners. Demonstrated understanding of process improvement programs and processes, with experience driving them successfully within technology organizations highly preferred. Some background in “operational excellence” and/or Six Sigma helpful.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project, and SharePoint) required. Working knowledge of Clarity PPM and Agile Application Lifecycle Management and development tools including Rally, Confluence Wiki, and JIRA strongly preferred. Some experience serving as administrator of such tools would be helpful.
- Open to change with an ability to thrive in a team-based environment that is fast-paced, rapidly changing, and service-oriented.
- BA/BS degree is required with preference for degrees in Computer Science, Engineering, Business or related fields.
- Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification is strongly preferred. Other certifications such as PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP®), Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Scaled Agile Framework Program Consultant (SAFe SPC), Certified Stanford Advanced Senior Program Manager (SAPM), and/or Lean Six Sigma would be a plus.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.