REF7305P - Staff z/OS Database Engineer
- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Database and Middleware Engineering team is part of Operations & Infrastructure (O&I) Technology Platform and is responsible for common integration infrastructure that supports communication between multiple enterprise applications and multiple business lines
Should you join our team, you will be responsible for the design, integration, advanced problem analysis, successful deployment, and continuous operational improvement of database technologies used at Visa. You should be well versed in database administration practices and principles as you will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. You will be expected to an influential technical domain authority for the database team.
This role is that of an individual contributor responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify creative solutions. This role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance provided only in the most complex situations.
Support non-production database and database availability, database security patching, implementation of database maintenance and support the availability of development, QA and pre-production environments. You will also handle a portfolio of applications and will work with business technology groups to implement new database solutions and to maintain their own existing database portfolio. Acting fairly independent and in a matrix role with various technical team to perform Database function will be the norm. This includes, but is not limited to, advanced to authority engineering and implementation of the following. Ideally, you have the following skills:
- Adaptability & discernment: our environment is constantly changing and you'll be faced with potentially conflicting priorities and need to multitask and know when to take risks.
- Collaboration & communication: you'll work with other DBAs and application developers (from other cultures and countries with diverse backgrounds) on projects. You will also represent the database team in application development projects with business analysts.
- Knowledge of best practices: you'll be defining and improving process maturity needs surrounding Database support, and maintaining structural consistency within the multiple test environments
- Confidence and capability to ensure that the data is backed up to provide recovery
- A dedication to being productive and smart: you're going to want to reduce or automate repetitive tasks
- Ownership of projects and assignments from planning to execution
- Engagement in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
Technical Experience Requirements:
- Control access to tables, plans, and packages
- Tune SQL queries
- Monitor state of the DBMS
- Prepare for upgrades and migration
- Proficiency with logical and physical data modeling design concepts
- Solid performance tuning experience in assisting developers with SQL queries, indexing, stored procedures, triggers and resolving concurrency issues
- Experience with table partitioning and maintaining very large databases
- Creation and maintenance of database objects (tables, columns, indexes, etc)
- Setup and support of database utilities including REORG, RUNSTATS, LOAD, UNLOAD, BIND, and EXPLAIN
- Demonstrated knowledge of third party tools (FileAid, CA, RLX/REXX, etc.)
- Bachelors/Degree in Computer Science or other technology field
- 6+ years DB2 z/OS DBA experience
- Experience handling very large database environment
- Emphasis on DB2 performance tuning techniques
- Troubleshooting techniques and attentive, thoughtful problem diagnosis
- Auditing, Security and SOX compliance and reporting
- Ability to analyze and resolve data issues.
- Experience in deploying database changes for new releases with minimal downtime
- Knowledge of z/OS Operating system administration
- Superb and social communication skills to be able to interact with application developers and end-users to understand their requirements
- Experience with DB2 on LUW is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to take on complex systems and database environment issues.
- Work experience in a financial institution is preferred
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.