Manager of Engineering (REF7156A) - Digital and Mobile Product Development (DMPD)
- Austin, TX, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Manger of Engineering must be able to set the architectural and engineering standards across the Visa Checkout Hybrid team as well as evangelize best practices and lead by example. You will partner with business, QA, and product staff to deliver efficient, cost-effective, high-performing, and scalable solutions at a demanding pace. Building cohesiveness within the team, but also across technical teams within the organization, will be key to the success of this role.
Candidates should truly love what they do, be flexible and communicative, and relish learning new things.
- Own architectural design and engineering across application development teams for the Checkout Hybrid team, including iOS, Android, Web and connective technologies.
- Lead a team of developers by example through dedication, flexibility, and an openness to finding the best technical solution to a problem, collaborating effectively across the organization
- Use architectural reviews and engineering chapter meetings to continue to grow the technical staff and evangelize best practices
- Make critical software design decisions and help lead and mentor staff to do the same
- Enforce coding standards through rigorous design, architectural, and peer reviews, test driven development, and automated workflows via CI/CD processes
- Develop, implement, and socialize engineering best practices and standards
- Be fully involved in the software development lifecycle, mentoring engineers as they build software in alignment with an evolving architectural vision
- Be flexible enough to adapt and extend architectural plans as new product goals and technical challenges emerge within our agile environment
- Ensure up-to-date documentation for systems, applications, and procedures
- Partner with development operations to continue developing a highly functional set of development tools in what will become a continuously deployed environment
- Continuously work to improve and invest in your engineers to grow them personally and technically
- Knowledge of Android and iOS technologies - Objective-C/Swift/Java, network architecture and MVC design pattern
- Passion for user experience and knowledge of Mobile Application Patterns as per the Android Development Guidelines or Apple's interface guidelines (required)
- Strong foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design optimized for mobile platform (required)
- Solid coding practices including good design documentation, unit testing, source control (GIT, SVN etc) and peer code-reviews (required)
- Knowledge Android/iOS platform security practices
- Experience with Android/iOS development tools (Android Studio, Gradle build, XCode etc)
- Experience using RESTful APIs to integrate mobile applications to server side systems
- Very good understanding in all phases of SDLC, security requirements, multi-tier application development with hardware interaction, deep understanding of network protocols and blue tooth technology, test driven development, SDK development - maintenance and support
- Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills
- Sound planning, organizational and problem solving skills, excellent project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and commitments in an environment that requires multitasking among concurrent projects
- Ability to convey development concepts related to network, application, and systems - to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Familiarity with web development, ReactJS, Redux is a plus
- Ability to provide thought leadership on mobile excellence and practice
- Ability and desire to learn new skills and take on new initiatives
- Proven ability to work and have fun in a team environment
- BS degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or other related fields with a minimum of 2 years of experience managing people or people managers (required) -OR- MS degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or other related fields with a minimum of 1 years of management experience in the same (required)
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.