REF8352V - Senior MSSQL Staff Database Engineer
- Bellevue, WA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
At the heart of Visa lies a secure, global payments processing network that for 40 years has empowered people, businesses and governments in over 200 countries. It is in the midst of profound change, innovating like never before and transforming and refreshing the technology assets to set the foundation for the next several decades.
Within Technology, Infrastructure division provides best-in-class infrastructure services that are secure, scalable, continuous available. It architects, builds and maintains secure and reliable data centers, systems and networks to support the business functionality that Visa provides to payment industry stakeholders.
The Database team is part of Infrastructure’s Distributed Systems Division and is responsible for delivering open system database infrastructures with operational excellence, being the industry leader in preventive and predictive operations driven by continuous innovation through selfheal and automated ecosystems, architecting, engineering, and building the reliable, scalable, secure, available, and cost-effective database infrastructure solutions for product development partners; working closely with them to use database products to the best, meeting various workload requirements, being transactional, analytical, non-relational, or data warehouse.
The team is the technology owner of multiple RDBMS and NoSQL technologies, is responsible to strategize, advance, and engineer enterprise solution for automated build/patching and efficient administration, that meet security, availability, performance, fast delivery and reporting requirements, and to support projects and products using these technologies.
As an engineer in this team, you will be involved in the plan, build and run activities related to database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to the design/architecture, solution engineering, and support; you will be responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining the running systems, able to perform problem analysis and troubleshooting. You should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles, and will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. You will technically influence and be the subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
Seated primarily within the architecture, engineering, deployment and support of MSSQL database technology this position will support database administration and engineering in the architecture, design, development and deployment, and management of Microsoft SQL database environments. This includes the advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
- Collaborate with all interested parties, gather requirements and provide recommendation for database standards.
- Provide technical expertise to design the most efficient and cost effective solutions for Microsoft SQL Servers.
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain MSSQL databases in production and non-production environments.
- Work closely with other Infrastructure operations and engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLA's and performance target set.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Implementation/Support of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, encryption, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Manage, support and maintain Microsoft SQL Server database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the architectural guidelines and policies.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call.
- Regular database capacity planning and archival solution related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
- Provide DBA support for enterprise monitoring, backup, alerting, and security compliance solutions for SQL servers.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of database issues.
- Write/maintain PowerShell scripts for DB automation and application maintenance.
- Advance experience with automation of managerial and repetitive DBA tasks.
- Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision.
- Bachelors/Degree in Computer Science or other technology field is a must
- 10-14 years of DBA experience with Microsoft SQL Server
- Strong knowledge and extensive experience with Microsoft SQL server technologies (all core areas: SSMS, SQL clustering, Data Synchronization, Encryption, Partitioning, Performance, Security, SSAS, SSIS and SSRS configuration) is mandatory
- Sound knowledge of all windows and SQL utilities; strong PowerShell knowledge and experience is a plus
- Solid understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security
- Solid knowledge in database replication technologies including Always-on, GoldenGate, etc. and strong architectural/engineering skills to design systems that meet various applications High Availability and Disaster Recovery requirements
- Have good experience in engineering processes supporting repetitive or frequent tasks in database administration or deployment
- Solid understanding and experience in maintain MSSQL technology lifecycle, and automation of MSSQL deployment
- Good engineering skills in developing enterprise solutions to support MSSQL in areas like backup, monitoring/alerting, security compliance, patching, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills
- Demonstrate ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues
- Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs
- A good team player, leader, flexible, share knowledge, help others, collaborate well within and outside the team
- Work experience in a financial Institute will be preferred
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.