DITA Technical Writer (XML)
- Foster City, CA, USA
Visa Inc. is a global payments technology company that connects consumers, businesses, financial institutions and governments in more than 200 countries and territories, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
Visa does not issue cards, extend credit or set rates and fees for consumers. Visa’s innovations enable its bank customers to offer consumers choices: Pay now with debit, ahead of time with prepaid or later with credit products. From the world’s major cities to remote areas without banks, people are increasingly relying on digital currency along with mobile technology to use their money anytime, make purchases online, transfer funds and access basic financial services. All of which makes their lives easier and helps grow economies.
Behind the Visa brand are our talented employees who continuously raise the bar with innovative solutions and products that deliver the convenience and security of digital currency to more people all over the world.
Technical Communications Services (TCS) is responsible for most of Visa’s technical information serving both technology and business departments. With team members in California, Colorado, and Singapore, we support internal Visa teams and external Visa clients, delivering over 300 technical communications solutions each year including user, implementation, and web services guides; online help systems; SharePoint solutions; operational and departmental procedures; release notes and developer guides; API and SDK reference materials; system process flows.
As a Technical Writer with TCS, your primary role will be to work on our XML Authoring Support team as they support our current Docbook XML authoring system and as we move to our new DITA authoring system. You will be mentored by senior-level writers who will help you to navigate TCS’ documentation and editing Services and to understand industry best practices. You will work on a variety of technical documentation Projects supporting our transition from Docbook to DITA as well as supporting our current Docbook system. You will gain expertise in authoring tools and publishing environments as you research, write, and edit Technical content, help systems, SharePoint sites, intranet sites, and more.
Technical Writers possess a minimum of 5 years of technical writing or related experience. They demonstrate basic skills in document analysis, writing tools, project management and semi-independent interaction with development, quality, and product management groups.Responsibilities
Principal responsibilities include:
Write new documentation using topic-based structured authoring guidelines and with minimalist intent. This documentation is for our XML authoring systems (XML Editor, Component Content Management System and web-based documentation delivery portal) used to create internal and external Visa documentation.
Update current documentation that supports existing end-user authoring systems.
Provide first-level technical troubleshooting and problem solving to the XML authoring community, using excellent customer service skills and best practices to serve our internal clients and fellow team
members. The successful applicant will need to be professional at all times, particularly when faced with various issues requiring user assistance.
Write meaningful/actionable user requirements from interviews, design docs and informal notes.
Test and debug software enhancements to our XML authoring systems (current and new) and provide feedback to the XML development team. This includes the construction of solid use cases for testing and for User Acceptance Testing (UAT.)
Deliver technical training—via webinars, front-of-the-room training and one-on-one user training.
Communicate professionally and clearly in all written and oral communications in a way that is transparent and honest.
Provide timely project status on multiple projects to team members, clients and management— with the ability to construct highly readable versions of status/dashboards that define the details of what has been delivered, what is missing and what is in between.
Proactively escalate problems and issues as needed and exercise good judgement in determining that is urgent or critical and what is not.
Multi-tasks and prioritizes concurrent assignments.
- 5 or more years of technical writing or related
- An undergraduate degree in Information Systems, English, Journalism, Communications, or related technology-focused field.
- Excellent Knowledge and mastery of the structure and content of the English language including the rules of composition and grammar.
- Solid background in topic-based authoring and principles of minimalism.
- Previous experience with authoring in DITA and working with Content Management Systems. Component Content Management System experience (preferred.)
- Previous experience authoring in Docbook XML (preferred.)
- Experience closely working with developers (and translating their language/work product to non-technical audiences), especially in the area of API and developer documentation, such as SDKs and other supporting materials.
- Basic programming skills (preferred.)
- Testing/QA experience in a writing role (preferred.)
- Experience in creating or administering User Acceptance Testing (preferred.)
- Change management experience (preferred.)
- Highly driven, enthusiastic, eager, collaborative (especially with multi-cultural teams across the globe and time zone flexibility), and resourceful. Strong customer service, analytical, research, interpersonal, and problem solving skills. Excels at multi-tasking; able to pivot easily. High level of self-awareness; ability to give and receive feedback in a professional and friendly manner.
- Able to learn new software quickly to get up to speed. Enjoys being a pioneer in new technology and approaches new challenges with excitement.
- Working knowledge of MS-Office products for Windows including Word, Excel, Visio and SharePoint.
- Experienced with graphics and video editing software such as Illustrator, Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, Premiere and Web design tools (Wiki, SharePoint Designer) (preferred.)
- Familiar with advanced authoring software (Adobe FrameMaker, Acrobat, and RoboHelp), XML editing tools (Arbortext Editor or Oxygen XML), document repositories (Documentum or Knowledge Center) (preferred.)
- Knowledgeable with Visa systems or applications (highly preferred.)
Writing samples are required to demonstrate proficiency for both business and technical audiences. TCS will also administer a writing test as part of the formal interview process.