Director Corporate Development
- Miami, FL, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Visa is looking for an outstanding individual to join our Corporate Development, M&A (“CDMA”) team as Director of Corporate Development. CDMA works closely with Visa’s business owners and executive leadership to define and execute our inorganic growth strategy across the globe, including Acquisitions and large or complex Investments. Visa’s CDMA team adopts a pro-active approach to sourcing and executing transactions, while also maintaining the best of relationships with entrepreneurs, bankers, lawyers, VCs, and PE funds active in the multiple ecosystems in which Visa operates.
The role will have direct interaction with the SVP of Corporate Development, who heads Global M&A, as well as local-market leaders. As such, this person will be a principal point of contact for Visa’s team with both inbound deal flow and outbound deal sourcing opportunities externally representing Visa at an Executive level capacity. They will have disproportionate influence in driving acquisition and investment strategy based on their insights, which will help develop conviction and form decisions that have broad financial and organizational impact both in-region and globally.
As such, Key Responsibilities will include:
- Initiate, develop, and maintain relationships with potential acquisition or investment candidates and their management and advisors, including CEOs, CFOs, legal counsel, and bankers. Understand their businesses and key metrics quickly and in a way that builds confidence and enhances Visa’s reputation in the market. This work will include hosting one-on-one executive meetings, attending relevant networking events, as well as conducting disciplined phone and email-based outreach and follow-up.
- Work closely with internal Visa stakeholders within their respective geographies and in functional roles, to understand their goals and strategies and use this knowledge to find companies that are a potential fit. This person needs to stay current with Visa product offerings, underlying technologies, geographic landscapes, and strategic initiatives and then translate those to valuable conversations with external parties.
- Collaborate with CDMA team members to build an informed perspective on market segments of interest to Visa, including the creation of market maps, target comparisons, and analysis of VC and Private Equity investment trends. Synthesize across companies and markets to reach insightful hypotheses on superior M&A and investment opportunities.
- Conduct business and financial analysis of potential targets and appropriately escalate urgent or critical developments that require a response.
- Brief Visa executives on trends and themes that emerge from the many conversations and external touchpoints. Advocate for top-tier opportunities, including market-leading acquisitions, ranging from startups to public companies
- 8+ years of relevant experience in industry with 4-6+ years’ experience in a corporate development, business development, or product management function at a large payments, FinTech, or software company; or at a top-tier consulting, I-bank, hedge fund, private equity, or venture capital firm.
- Bachelors with Master Degree, MBA, or undergraduate technical degree is an added plus.
- Demonstrated understanding of merger/acquisition analysis and related issues, including non-disclosure agreements (NDAs), valuation, cap tables and basic venture economics.
- Ability to discuss, capture, organize, and summarize key characteristics of disparate companies and their offerings in a consistent and repeatable way.
- Proven experience in Executive Level presentations with the ability to draw conclusions and distill critical information to inform and influence senior management strategic decisions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and interest in, the payments, financial technology, and/or software industries. Curiosity and a genuine interest in learning about companies’ strategies, differentiation, and thinking independently about how those could align with Visa’s objectives.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Highly preferred demonstrated language experience in competently conducting business in Latin Amderica.
1. A genuine love for interacting with a variety of talented people, which translates into an exceptional rapport, demonstrated through outstanding email and phone communications – the successful candidate will be able to build personal connections and relationships quickly and often at a distance through phone and email.
2. Dogged determination and follow through with a voracious appetite for learning.
3. Comfortable with both structured and improvised conversations and processes. Keeping our pipeline software up to date, accurate, and relevant will require a thoughtful, disciplined, and structured process with regular check-ins and follow ups. Conversations with CEOs and investment bankers may span across many topics, and the successful candidate will have a track record of achieving results with a variety of different partners and communication styles.
4. Ability to form independent, informed opinion through market research, to evaluate strategic players and options, to distill a variety of perspectives, and to articulate data and conclusions at an executive level.
5. Ability to identify, recognize, and analyze trends, technologies, and attractive business opportunities, and communicate the opportunity clearly and succinctly.
6. True team player who is excited to work in an ambiguous, fast-moving, complex, globally-dispersed environment with multiple stakeholders inside and outside of the company.
7. Ability to lead, review, and execute multiple strategic projects simultaneously.
8. Inherently enthusiastic contributor, who is willing to take on special projects and assignments as required.
9. Disciplined, hard-working, dedicated, and impassioned personality who can generate contributions from others as well as drive their own work.
10. Exhibits superior business judgment, and an ability to use it to make a strong positive impact.
11. Expected travel 15-25% of the time, depending on geographic focus.
12. The role is suitable for location in [San Francisco, CA / Miami]
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.