Senior Staff Systems Engineer (Linux/AIX)
- Foster City, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The global systems engineering group is responsible for engineering and support of the IT infrastructure for Visa Inc. and VisaNet. This includes planning, design, evaluation, installation, deployment, and maintenance of the IT infrastructure for the data centers and office facilities.
This is an individual contributor role responsible for solving complex
problems and taking a broad perspective to identify creative solutions. This role serves as a technical and functional specialist and works independently with mentorship only in the most complex situations.
- Work in a complex, highly-secure, and highly available operations environments and interacting with the technology domain authorities required to maintain those environments
- Function as the compute lead on critical infrastructure projects and initiatives
- Write technical design and build documentation for compute infrastructure
- Develop ITIL procedures, technology strategy, engineering standards,
methodologies, task-plans and standard methodologies for Distributed Compute Engineering
- Collaborate with partner Engineering Disciplines to develop Infrastructure Building Blocks based Reference Architectures and standards that can be offered as services to our customers
- Mentor junior team members
- In-depth experience with the following Operating Systems: Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 6 and 7 and Ubuntu 16.x, AIX 6.1 and above, In-depth experience with enterprise class virtualization technologies including VMware, Linux KVM and IBM Power Virtualization
- Engineering knowledge and hands-on with Linux container technology, SELinux and Docker.Strong Hardware and OS deployment experience in the following server product lines: HP ProLiant, Dell PowerEdge and IBM Power
- Strong scripting skills in UNIX environments. In-depth experience in deployment and workflow automation
- Experience in automation and workflow tools such as Chef and BladeLogic tool
- Strong analytical and technical troubleshooting skills, and possess an ability
to explain technical concepts and provide mentorship to junior staff
- Strong expertise and experience in system monitoring techniques and tools
supporting unattended operations
- Authoritative knowledge in server end SAN/NAS configuration and troubleshooting
- Ability to analyze, fix and take on storage stack issues (Hosts, SAN switches and Storage Devices)
- Engineering knowledge in TCPIP networking –link aggregation/redundancy, switches, routing and load-balancing
- Ability to write technical design and build documentations for all aspects of a technical infrastructure
- Solid ability to integrate content from other domain areas and construct final technical design documents
- Solid ability to provide level 3 support and guide level 2 administrators on
problem resolution. Exhibit understanding and perform operational acceptance/turnover activities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical field required, and advanced degree preferred 10 years of relevant working experience in large enterprise operational environments required
- 24x7 "On-call" support rotation required
- Broad knowledge in hardware, software, network and applications deployments through automation
- Confirmed experience in an application hosting or data center environment
- Confirmed experience with maintaining highly available and highly secure systems
- Good hands on technical engineering professional with business insight
- Strong process orientation and solid grasp of software development and testing techniques, methodologies and best practices
- Good experience in design and implementation experience with custom and
off-the-shelf applications, and help coordinate activities of multiple technology domains in terms of design and deployment ITIL certification preferred
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.