Summer Intern, Technical Writer (Undergrad)
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Technical Communications Services (TCS) is responsible for most of Visa’s technical information serving both technology and business departments. With team members in California, Colorado, and Singapore, we support internal Visa teams and external Visa clients, delivering over 300 technical communications solutions each year including user, implementation, and web services guides; online help systems; SharePoint solutions; operational and departmental procedures; release notes and developer Guides; API and SDK reference materials; system process flows.
As a Summer Intern – Technical Writer, you will be involved in tasks such as research, writing, and word processing that do not require advanced knowledge of Visa’s systems. You will work closely with senior-level writers and gain hands on experience in document analysis, project management, and interact with client development groups whilst expanding your knowledge of Visa’s systems.
- Research subject matter and work with senior-level writers to obtain and exchange information and update documentation accordingly
- Work with a senior-level writer to develop the following skills:
- Analyze existing documentation for impacts
- Create and maintain a project schedule
- Represent writing team in planning and review meetings with clients
- Communicate status of project to team members and clients
- Escalate problems and issues when appropriate
- Multi-task and prioritize assignments
- Ensure that documents comply with department standards for presentation, format and content as stated in department style guide
- Enhance knowledge of writing tools and general writing skills
- Undergraduate students graduating in 2020 or later.
- Pursuing an Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Information Systems, Technical Communications, or related field with a focus in Technology.
- Strong knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the rules of composition and grammar.
- Proficiency with written and verbal communication for both business and technical audiences.
- Strong customer service, analytical, research, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Highly driven, enthusiastic, eager, collaborative, and resourceful
- Experienced with Microsoft-Office products for Windows including Word, Excel, Visio, Outlook, and SharePoint.
- Familiarity with graphics editing software (Illustrator, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.) and web design tools (DreamWeaver, Wiki (Confluence), SharePoint Designer, etc.).
- Knowledge in advanced authoring software (e.g., Adobe FrameMaker, Acrobat and RoboHelp), XML editing tools (e.g. Arbortext Editor) and document repositories (e.g. Documentum) will be a bonus.
- Writing samples are required.