Sr. SW Engineer, IaaS, Data Platform
- Palo Alto, CA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
VISA is a very strong leader in the payment industry, and is in a fast pace of technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advance technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform (DP) Department is in the center for many of these technologies and development.
The Data Platform Department is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched and valuable ecosystem of data platform and data services to drive innovation for our partners and clients, within Visa and globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data Platform Department is dedicated to systems and services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, and easy to use, therefore enabling Visa with the ability to leverage its data asset in an effective and timely manner to maximize technology/business development and differentiate Visa from others in the payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for various internal lines of business and external clients. Our technical stack has two layers: Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Data as a service (DaaS).
The Infrastructure as Services team is part of Visa's Data Platform division. Our mission is to provide the enabling technology and processes to manage Visa data assets and deliver Value Added Information Products and Services to our customers. We are working very closely with PaaS team. 30% of the time team spend on development, 30% - on support, 30% - on administration and 10% - on improving business processes.
The Data Platform organization is building the Next Generation Data processing engines with cost-effective and distributed applications on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Building next generation applications require collaboration with exceptional group of highly skilled Data architects, software engineers, DevOps engineers, payment experts and infrastructure architects. This is an exciting time for a data professional to join our team to drive technology transformation.
A successful candidate should be a highly technical software developer in the Visa Data Platform. Success in this role will require working effectively with a matrix organization within Data Platform and across other departments within Visa. Prior experience must include extensive coding for large scale distributed applications. We desire a candidate who has the ability to perform as Software developer and as SRE (Site Reliability Engineer); demonstrated success in building partnerships with the key stakeholders of the other technology functions such as operations, support, system administration, security, development, and engineering is required. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in cloud technologies, big data, web technologies, large scale distributed platforms, and have a good written and verbal communication skills.
- Act as a software developer for large scale distributed applications within Data Platform
- Responsible to articulate/measure/maintain non-functional requirements for applications
- Partnering with application developers, architects, engineers, and various groups supporting Data Platform applications to drive new initiatives
- Actively participating and delivering on new technologies evaluations and POCs
- Collaborating with project and development teams to ensure on time delivery of projects, production support plans, and knowledge transfer for long-term supportability of upgrades, enhancements, and deployments
- Identifying existing productivity issues and opportunities, developing methods and systems to improve these functions and managing their implementation
- Developing close working relationships and dependencies with members of teams within the organization
- Manage infrastructure of applications utilizing all possible information delivery channels, including capacity planning, version upgrades and maintenance
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards and processes
- Build and maintain relationships with global and virtual teams and third parties on software development or support issues
- Participate in the overall strategy, standardization, analysis, design, and implementation of applications
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems or other technical discipline (Master preferred)
- Active experience with Java, C++, shell scripting, HBase, Spark, Kafka, Hive, Pig
- Relational database and SQL development experience required
- Understanding best practices for Big data and data warehousing
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in developing and managing development of Data Integration applications for large corporations with experience in both batch and online systems
- 3+ or more years of hands-on experience with coding on languages like C/C++, Java; experience with ETL/ELT applications, open system platforms (UNIX: AIX, Linux)
- In-depth knowledge of the software development life cycle
- Knowledge and practical experience with CICD automation
- Development experience in a cross-platform, multi-tier environment
- Have strong problem diagnostic and debugging skills
- Strong communication skills with ability to present complex ideas and document in a clear and concise way
- Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough
- Proactive sense of urgency and “can do” attitude
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.