Chief Network Automation Architect (WAN and Data Center)
- Foster City, CA
The Technology organization within Visa, Inc. is responsible for all systems,
technology and processing platforms, networks, and the development required to
support the business demands of the company.
We have an immediate need for a Chief Network Automation Architect with at least 10 years of hands-on experience with network automation of enterprise and/or service provider network infrastructure. The role will focus on delivering an automation framework to that will form the foundation for Visa’s evolved global backbone with best-in-class network performance, availability, resource utilization, and leveraging state-of-the-art networking technologies. The successful candidate will work with leaders across the enterprise to coordinate an automation and CI/CD framework that meet challenges of technology, regulatory, security, and competitive conditions.
This position reports to the Senior Director Network Architecture and is a key role within the Visa’s Global Infrastructure Network Services organization.
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior technology leader to make key contributions to Visa’s strategic vision for the evolution and transformation of the company’s global networks toward next-generation technologies.
The successful candidate will provide technical leadership and hands on development in several network architecture areas of expertise and will develop and execute new initiatives to increase the agility and availability of Visa’s global wide area network and drive growth, reduce cost, increase reliability and increase global synergy for Visa’s networks. (S)/He will work collaboratively with other functional and technology areas of Visa and senior leaders in various regions to define and execute business priorities.
The successful candidate will have responsibility and accountability across several key areas, including:
- Network automation architecture, strategy and roadmap
- Innovation and emerging technologies
- Proof-of-Concept projects, development of automation framework, lab trials, and vendor/technology evaluation
More specifically, the primary responsibilities include the following:
- Lead the development of network automation framework for Visa’s evolved global backbone.
- Drive implementation of network automation framework, proof-of-concept projects and lab trials from concept to delivery with a focus on new technologies.
- Participate in the definition of network roadmaps. Identify and assess technology trends and articulate technology recommendations.
- Provide subject matter expertise in interactions with vendor partners, customers, program manage collaboration projects externally and internally.
- Mentor/manage and motivate high-performing network architects and technologists and set clear priorities to achieve department goals.
- Manage development of highly complex technology solutions based on network automation framework.
- Collaborate with network engineering and security teams. Make recommendations on next-generation capabilities to support new business opportunities.
- Determine need and make recommendations for new technologies and vendor solutions based on Visa’s network vision and strategy, leveraging the latest developments in the industry.
- Lead development of innovation and strategic direction in application of theories and concepts in data network design, configuration, administration, maintenance and/or support.
Establish standards and governance in future acquisitions to mitigate risk and maximize network stability.
The ideal candidate is a senior technologist with demonstrated experience and interest in network architecture, automation and design. As VISA embarks on a fundamental evolution of how it manages complex networks of traditional physical networking devices from vendors such as Cisco, Juniper and Arista, this is an ideal opportunity for a demonstrated technology enthusiast to make a sizable impact on how Visa’s network resources will evolve. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, enthusiastic and work well with other talented networking professionals. If you are a strong Network Engineer/Architect that enjoys working for a technology focused company driving network evolution, then this is for you. This is a great opportunity to provide thought leadership in network automation and for driving how Visa will achieve goals of improved availability, agility and automation as part of driving Visa's network evolution.
The following qualifications are required for the role:
- Prior experience in next-generation network/product architecture design for large-scale network deployments for high-volume, high-availability consumer-facing and B2B network interactions.
- Experience working with highly-effective engineering teams through major technology transitions.
- Prior experience in driving and leading enterprise technology and cultural transformation programs.
- Experience in Data Center and Wide Area Networking technologies, network design, network implementation, network security, internet connectivity/infrastructure design and DC network migration.
- Demonstrated experience with Python, Ansible, Jenkins, Databases (Relational and NoSQL), and/or Chef, Puppet or Salt.
- Demonstrated experience designing and building sophisticated automation systems for large, complex networks of traditional physical networking devices from vendors such as Cisco, Juniper and Arista
- Working with a team of developers in an Agile methodology to develop robust, supportable software
- Designing, building and/or operating complex IP networks for data centers and/or WANs
- Experience architecting and/or implementing large Enterprise WAN networks with BGP, OSPF routing protocols.
- Experience with Software Defined Network solutions across Data Center and WAN deployments, container networking, and network virtualization, preferably in production environments.
- Experience in protocol and device testing and verification for production environments.
- Experience gathering business requirements and translating them into reference network architectures and network solutions.
- Interest in researching new technologies and methodologies, researching vendor technology solutions, and estimating costs associated with these solutions.
- Excellent communicator with demonstrated abilities to document and present technology concepts and work across technology teams/areas.
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in engineering or related field.
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.