Data Science Director
- Foster City, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
“Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.”
The Global Data Science organization consists of 160+ data scientists across the globe. It specializes in data insight discovery, synthesis and value creation for our clients and partners by tapping into our extraordinarily rich data set that spans more than 3 billion cards globally and captures more than 100 billion transactions in a single year. Our focus lies on building creative and highly analytical solutions that have a measurable impact on the business. By consistently pushing the boundary on innovation, our data scientists not only serve as thought leaders on all things data at Visa but also build a reputation as leaders in the industry.
We are looking for a seasoned Data Scientist leader to support US card issuing clients. This role will be part of the North America Issuer Data Science team and you will closely collaborate with account executives and Visa’s consulting group in identifying areas where Visa adds value with data, proposing creative solutions and leading junior data scientists in the project execution and solution development.
The position is based at Visa's headquarter in the San Francisco Bay Area (Foster City, CA)
- Be an out-of-the-box thinker who is passionate about brainstorming innovative ways to use our unique data to answer business problems
- Communicate with clients to understand the challenges they face and convince them with data
- Extract and understand data to form an opinion on how to best help our clients and derive relevant insights
- Independently guide and support projects with our consulting partners
- Develop visualizations to make complex analyses accessible to a broad audience
- Find opportunities to scale custom solutions and make them suitable for multiple clients
- Be a thought leader in the team and provide mentoring and coaching to junior data scientists
- Lead a data scientist team and work closely with consulting partners to achieve revenue goals
Can you take on the responsibilities described above? Then please apply! Independent of years of experience or educational background, successful candidates frequently have a mix of the following qualifications:
- 8+ years experience in data-based decision-making or quantitative analysis
- Graduate degree in an analytical field such as statistics, operations research, economics, computer science or many others
- A self starter and have demonstrated success in using analytics to drive innovation in business problem solving
- Experience with extracting and aggregating data from large data sets using SQL or other tools
- Experience in prototyping and developing machine learning models using statistical software (e.g., Python, SAS, R or others)
- Ability to articulate data insights in succinct business terms and communicate effectively
- Competence in Excel, PowerPoint and Tableau
- Experience with distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop) a plus, but not required
- Previous exposure to financial services, credit cards a plus, but not required
- Previous people management experience a plus, but not required
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.