Visa Research-Intern (PhD)
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, technology is at the heart of what we do. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Visa Research is a newly created research organization as part of the company's effort on expanding its technology research capabilities globally. We conduct both applied and fundamental research while engaging with the company's technology and product teams, business partners, academics, and governments, to explore and develop technologies that are critical to the payments industry in the future.
Currently, we focus on building research teams in three key areas: Data Analytics, Security, and Future of Payment(Blockchain). We are looking for outstanding researchers and engineers at all levels of experience as part of the growing team!
Our mission at the Data Analytics team is to unlock the hidden value in these massive high-quality financial data, and decode the language of transactions to drive innovation in the payment industry and beyond. We conduct applied research in machine learning and related fields to deliver unique insights and capabilities to our partners and clients to help them grow their businesses. Our research areas include deep learning applications in financial data, supervised and unsupervised representation learning, predictive modeling for fraud and risk management, consumer behavior modeling, recommendation systems, scalable machine learning systems, privacy preserving data analytics, and related fields.
Visa Research’s goal of security is to enable policy-enforced, full lifecycle protection for data at rest, in transit and during computation for all payment-related scenarios. We accomplish this through fundamental and applied research in three areas:
- Advances in Cryptography
- Secure Computing
- Secure Data Acquisition and Analysis
- Systems Security
Our Blockchain research focuses on understanding the fundamentals of cryptocurrencies and Blockchain technology. We explore ways to advance the science of Blockchain technology and enable the discovery of real-world payment. We collaborate with top universities and the world’s leading Blockchain researchers to develop technologies that promise to transform the financial industry in the decade ahead.
For additional information on the work Visa is doing and our team please visit our website at:https://usa.visa.com/about-visa/visa-research.html
Visa Research is a growing group within Visa. We are located in the Palo Alto a stones throw away from the some of the best restaurants in the area as well as CalTrain station and Stanford. The team itself is highly collaborative, working together not noly on projects and research but also known to go hiking and have lunch together.
There are many skills and research areas we are eager to explore, but we do require that our interns have at least one semester/quarter left of school following their internship.
- Student graduating in October 2019 or later!
- Strong track record in research and impact in the research community. Added bonus if this inpact is in highly reputed journals and conferences through publications, patents and/or presentations at conferences!
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an eagerness to collaborate with members of your team as well as other Visa teams.
- Demonstrated ability to think outside the box and innovate.
- Experience in payments or related industry is strongly valued and something you should highlight on your resume!
- Data Analytics: Proficiency with object oriented programming languages, such as C++, Java, Python, and Lua. Experience with large scale data processing using Hadoop and MapReduce.
- Security: Experience in one or more of the following areas: mobile and distributed systems/cloud computing security, protocols and network security, cryptography and cryptanalysis, payments and cryptocurrencies, data and application security, malware and program analysis, user and data privacy, assurance and formal methods, and related fields.
- Blockchain: Research experience in Cryptocurrencies, Blockchain, Distributed Database, In-memory Database, data security algorithms. Proficiency with object oriented programming languages, such as Go, Haskell, Scala, Java and Python.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.