Director - IaaS, Data Platform
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocate for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
You may have noticed that payment has become a very active/hot area in the last several years. Given the strong demands and innovation, this will be a very exciting area in the next 5 to 10 years. VISA is clearly a very strong leader in the payment industry, and is in a fast pace of technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advance technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform (DP) Department is in the center for many of these technologies and development.
The Data Platform Department is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched and valuable ecosystem of data platform and data services to drive innovation for our partners and clients, within Visa and globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data Platform Department is dedicated to develop advanced technology (e.g. Cloud, Machine Learning and Big Data), systems and services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, and easy to use, therefore enabling Visa with the ability to leverage its data asset in an effective and timely manner to maximize technology/business development and differentiate Visa from others in the payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for various internal lines of business and external clients. Our technical stack has two layers: Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Data as a service (DaaS).
The Infrastructure as Services team is part of Visa's Data Platform division. Our mission is to provide the enabling technology and processes to manage Visa data assets and deliver Value Added Information Products and Services to our customers. We are an integral part of the PaaS and DaaS teams. 30% of the time team spend on development, 30% - on support, 30% - on administration and 10% - on improving business processes.
PaaS and DaaS organization are building the Next Generation Data processing engines with cost-effective and distributed applications on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Building next generation applications require collaboration with exceptional group of highly skilled Data architects, software engineers, DevOps engineers, payment experts and infrastructure architects. This is an exciting time for a data professional to join our team to drive technology transformation.
A successful candidate will lead all aspects of the architecture and infrastructure of Data Platform. Success in this role will requires working effectively with a matrix organization within Data Platform and across other departments within Visa.
A successful candidate needs to be highly technical, with architect experience, and have demonstrated ability to lead, recruit, grow and retain data talent at scale. Prior experience must include leadership for mission-critical large scale data systems for analytic and operational use. Examples include data collection systems, large scale data pipelines, warehousing, cloud technology like Hadoop and Spark, business intelligence and predictive analytics.
We desire a candidate who has grown into an organizational leader after personal achievements as a hands-on architecture designer and system builder in the related areas. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in cloud technologies, big data, web technologies, large scale distributed platforms, machine learning, etc., and is a thought leader, is very familiar with the up to date development of the industry in these areas, have organizational skills, written and verbal communication skills, management and software solution delivery, demonstrated success in building partnerships with other technology functions such as operations, security, development, and engineering is required.
- Responsible for meeting all non-functional requirements for applications within shared Data Platform
- Partnering with application developers, architects, engineers, and various groups supporting Data Platform applications to drive new initiatives
- Collaborating with project and development teams to ensure on time delivery of projects, production support plans, and knowledge transfer for long-term supportability of upgrades, enhancements, and deployments
- Identifying existing productivity issues and opportunities, developing methods and systems to improve these functions and managing their implementation
- Serving as liaison between the various organizational entities and building relationships with members of these organizations
- Developing close working relationships and dependencies with members of teams within the organization
- Manage infrastructure of applications utilizing all possible information delivery channels, including capacity planning, version upgrades and maintenance
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards and processes
- Mentor/manage team members, develop procedures and best practices standards
- Build and maintain relationships with global and virtual teams and third parties on software development or support issues
- Participate in the overall strategy, standardization, analysis, design, and implementation of applications
- Engages architects (both enterprise and domain) to ensure that overall Enterprise Architecture is inclusive of all stakeholder viewpoints and are vetted to ensure that artifacts supports, reflects, advances and integrates as intended
- Ensures inclusion of Visa’s business vision, current business environment (internally and externally) and technology and industry trends to enable results that drive Visa’s business
- Master degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems or other technical discipline
- Minimum of 12 years of software development management experience (with a concentration in data centric initiatives), with demonstrated expertise in leveraging standard development best practice methodologies
- Experience in Hadoop using Java, C++, HBase, Spark, Kafka, Hive,Pig, Splunk technologies
- Possess superb business analytic ability as well as astute awareness of state-of-the-art and best practices for Big data, data warehousing, consumer analytics, knowledge management, near real time data processing
- Demonstrate expertise in data warehouse development, management of information systems and enterprise data store approaches with progressive career experience managing technologies and operations in large, complex, and geographically diverse operations
- Minimum of 8+ years of hands-on experience in developing and managing development of Data Integration applications for large corporations with experience in both batch and online systems
- Minimum of 5+ or more years of hands-on experience with coding on languages like C/C++, Java; experience with ETL/ELT applications, open system platforms (UNIX: AIX, Linux)
- Relational database and SQL development experience required
- In-depth knowledge of the software development life cycle required
- Development experience in a cross-platform, multi-tier environment
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to present complex ideas and document in a clear and concise way
- Expert in best practices for Data Marts and Enterprise DW architectures
- Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.