Director – Risk Service Management
- Shanghai, China
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
The Visa Discovery Program is the biggest step you can take to joining our Revolution of Payments Innovation. Throughout your traineeship period at Visa, you will take on meaningful work, get executive exposure and engage in out-of-the-box problem solving.
The Director plays a critical role to support the enterprise and operational risk activities of the company. Visa owns the most recognizable global brand in the financial services industry. Maintaining trust in that brand and differentiating Visa from competitors will be the RSM’s key responsibilities. Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer of Greater China, the RSM will be entrusted with a broad portfolio of responsibilities including Enterprise Risk Management and Ecosystem Risk (Fraud & Data Security) for China. The RSM will advise Visa’s Country Manager for China, country management teams and hub & global functional leads on risk management strategies related to complex operational, financial, legal and regulatory risk exposures. In addition to overseeing Enterprise Risk, the RSM will be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the payments ecosystem, which includes issuing and acquiring banks, merchants, cardholders, and service providers such as processors, device manufacturers, and payment gateways. The successful candidate will collaborate effectively with the China management teams and hub/ global functions including Technology, Innovation, Global Solutions, Client Support Services, Global Product & Merchant Sales. The RSM develop security priorities and execute strategies to prevent fraud, enhance user authentication, safeguard sensitive data, identify and respond to data breaches, prevent the misuse of the payment system for unlawful purposes. The RSM will also be responsible for representing Visa’s Credit Settlement Risk policy so as to protect Visa against financial loss in the case of a failure of an issuing or acquiring bank. The RSM will play an important role in shaping Visa’s enterprise and operational risk strategies during a period of rapid innovation in the payments industry. From enabling new channels (e.g. eCommerce/ mCommerce) to incorporating new technologies (e.g., chip cards, NFC) and expanding payment ecosystem (e.g. 3rd party service providers, regulators), the RSM will have the opportunity to lead the country management and clients to mitigate risks and innovate responsibly. He/she will be a catalyst for transforming Visa’s sub regional risk strategy and solutions for issuers, acquirers and merchants, with the end goal of championing payments security & forging deeper client relationships.
• Develop and execute a comprehensive risk plan that is consistent with local market landscape, country priorities and global risk strategy.
• Execute both internal and external risk management programs
• Lead client forums (security summit, Risk Executive Councils, working groups, etc.)Promote & support client adoption of Visa risk products / solutions / initiatives
• Identify new, creative "win-win" methods to reduce and mitigate payment system risk, fraud and cardholder data security risks.
• As a member of country leadership teams, serve as a trusted & strategic advisor to Country Manager on all risk issues.
• Manage relationships with issuers, acquirers, merchants, payment processors, service providers, regulators and law enforcement to:
• Resolve fraud & data breach events
• Provide stakeholder training
• Respond to adhoc queries & analytics requirements
• Identify opportunities to enhance the payment ecosystem and advance risk management best practice.
• Support constructive relationships with sub regional/ local market regulators and law enforcement agencies
• Lead the responsible innovation initiative by assisting Visa and its clients mitigate risks and embrace new technology improvements.
• Assess emerging/innovation risks and new business models
• Leverage local insights to contribute to Risk thought leadership
• Guide clients through payment innovation complexity
• Prepare reports, briefings and other written products to update executive management on risk activities, issues and opportunities.
• Convey risk-related trends and developments to sub regional/ local country manager and leadership team through regular reporting
• Synthesize marketplace feedback regarding the effectiveness of Visa’s risk management strategy and programs; benchmark Visa’s performance relative to other payment networks and participants.
• Guide Visa’s proactive risk communications and collaboration across all of these stakeholders so as to advance the safety, security and long-term growth of the Visa payment system.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished enterprise and operational risk leader with deep experience in the payments industry. While candidates with payments experience (networks, processors, financial institutions) are preferred, candidates from other multi-national, technology based, transactional businesses (e.g. large retailers) would also be considered. Finally, Visa may consider candidates with a track record for leading within a sound, well respected, multi-national, regulated business.
Regardless of the business pedigree, candidates must possess a deep intellect capable of understanding both current and emerging risks facing the business. Candidates must also demonstrate a track record for using that understanding to develop effective risk mitigation strategies and to sell those strategies to colleagues internally. The ability to influence senior level decision makers and to partner closely with the business is most critical.
Finally, a high degree of self-confidence, humility and energy will be essential to succeed in a fast pace and evolving industry.
Professional Experience Required:
• Track record for successfully identifying and mitigating enterprise and operational risk for a complex, global company in a regulated industry.
• Experience protecting consumer and corporate data through the development and implementation of rigorous compliance & rules management processes.
• Demonstrated approach to risk management contributing to brand and business growth.
Strategic and Analytic Skills
• Understands both at a strategic and operational level the myriad risks facing the business; drives down to root causes to assess the severity of the risk, the cost of remediation, and develops an appropriate action plan.
• Maintains strong personal base of knowledge with respect to risk management, industry practices, trends, and issues.
Collaboration and Communication
• Works cross-functionally with technology and with business unit heads to deliver insights that drive key business strategies and decisions.
• Works effectively with clients and external stakeholders – banks, processors, regulators.
• Proven ability to influence, collaborate, and work in matrix environment.
Executing for Results
• Intellectually curious; finds stories in the data, asks the right questions, demonstrated track record of mining data & intelligence for game-changing insights that generate big impacts.
• Gets things done; relentlessly focuses on results; aligns efforts with business objectives.
• Provides leadership, sets vision, and motivates a team.
• Experience developing talent and infusing knowledge and experience across wider organization.
Other Exposure and Education Required:
• Global and deep knowledge of the payments industry and the major trends affecting the major stakeholders, including regulatory, market environment, competitive landscape, technology and the rising threat of data breaches.
• 5-10 years of experience in leadership across technology products/ solutions, or similar years of experience in a leadership position within a financial institution, potentially as a key customer for Visa’s services on the client side.
• Solid general management background, with proven track record in strategic thinking, financial planning, risk management, relationship building and project leadership.
• Extensive international experience or work experience in a multinational corporation preferred.
• Undergraduate degree from top-tier institution required. Graduate degree with a focus on general management will be preferred.