Lead Software Engineer - Level 5
- London, gb
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You'll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team we're proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it's taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you're not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Lead Software Engineer - London, we want to hear from you together, let's make Visa a great place to work.
What's it all about?
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fuelled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Visa Innovation Centre focuses on building technology for the next generation of payments. We work on solving hard problems of the future in IoT, Blockchain, NLP, Mobile, Front-end, Machine Learning, and Data Analytics. We are looking for a technically expert Lead Software Engineer to drive the development of a variety of innovative products and pilots.
- This role requires quick problem solving skills, logical thinking, and application of programming techniques to design, build, and maintain code. Deep knowledge of computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms is a must. In addition to the technical skill set and passion for learning new technology, the candidate will be a self-starter, results-driven, and equipped with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Successful candidate will have a flair for out-of-box thinking and be passionate about mentoring and coaching a team of software engineers.
- The Lead Software Engineer is a technical leadership role, and therefore the successful candidate will be able to effectively lead development of multiple innovation projects simultaneously working very closely with the Engineering Manager, Technology Product Manager, Innovation Centre Product team and the team of Software Engineers. The role is based out of London Paddington, which is in the hub of payment disruptions and these projects will be instrumental in making an impact on Visa, and the payments industry as a whole.
What we're after...
- A passion for Fintech, and in particular payments
- A go-getter who is not overwhelmed by new technology, tight timelines, or parallel projects
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and enjoys working with variety at hand
- Experience of leading a team of software engineers at a task level
- Strong practitioner of Visa's Leadership principles
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related discipline
- Expert level skills in Java / C# / C++
- In-depth knowledge of data structures implementation and optimization
- Expert level skills in multi-threading, concurrency, and error-handling
- Expert level skills in implementing design patterns (singleton, facade, factory, observer etc.)
- Experience building enterprise scale web services (RESTful), and their scalability, resiliency, and availability
- Experience building application frameworks or reusable components
- Experience in network programming (Sockets) to build service self-healing
- Experience implementing multiple cross cutting concerns and non-functional requirements using aspect oriented programming (viz. aspectJ)
- Demonstrated proficiency in troubleshooting, root-cause analysis, application design, and implementing large components for enterprise projects
- Experience in language features such as lambda expressions, generics, and streams
- Experience in IoT, NFC, Bluetooth LE, machine learning / data science, NLP
- Experience in payments tech industry
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you we'd love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it's the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.