Director, Large Scale Shared Platform
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
You may have noticed that payments have become a very active/hot area in the last several years. Given the strong demands and innovation, this will be a very exciting area in the next 5 to 10 years. VISA is clearly a very strong leader in the payment industry, and is in a fast pace of technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advance technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform (DP) Department is in the center for many of these technologies and development.
The Data Platform Department is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched ecosystem of data platform and data services that drive innovation for our partners and clients, within Visa and globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data Platform Department is dedicated to develop technology (e.g. Cloud, Machine Learning and Big Data), systems and services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, and easy to use, therefore enabling Visa the ability to use its data asset in an effective and timely manner to maximize technology/business development and differentiate Visa from others in the payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for internal lines of business and external clients.
We are looking for a strong technical leader to be responsible for the teams of Multi-tenent Shared Large Scale Platforms. The team is responsible for developing, setting up, tuning, and maintaining large scale data platforms and offering them to Visa internal groups as services. The platforms include Visa specific data platforms, and open source platforms like Hadoop, Spark, HBase, Kafka, etc. commercial and open source database systems. The platforms need to be secure, reliable, efficient, and easy to use. To make this a reality, automation is critical. This position offers you the opportunity to be at the center of innovation in the payments industry and unleash the power of data through building a critical big data platform and powerful information services.
You will have demonstrated ability to lead, recruit, grow and retain high-caliber data talent. Prior experience should include leadership for most important large scale data systems for analytic and operational use. Examples include real-time data collection systems, large scale data pipelines, warehousing, cloud technology like Hadoop and Spark, business intelligence, predictive analytics, and near real-time data systems.
We desire someone who has grown into an organizational leader after strong personal achievements as a hands-on system builder in the related areas. Demonstrated success in building partnerships with other technology functions such as operations, security, development, and data sciences.
- Build, grow, and lead the Large Scale Shared Platform team to develop and maintain end to end technical solutions while fostering innovation, using new technologies, and customer centered service mindset. Shape a highly performant Large Scale Shared Platform team with top talents.
- Foster innovation and bring to bear new technologies. Be mission driven and passionate about having a lasting impact by driving key initiatives
- Apply creative thinking/approach to resolve technical solutions that further business goals and align with corporate technology strategies, keeping in mind security, performance, reliability, scalability, usability, and flexibility.
- Instill methodologies for software development and service execution. Work towards engineering excellence including automation, quality, efficiency, and productivity. Automation and reliability are the key for providing scaled services effectively.
- Provide guidance to the team including architecture, design, and code reviews
- Project task prioritization, planning of projects and features, partner management and tracking of commitments
- Define success metrics and SLAs, as well as tracking them toward agreed target
- Operational Excellence: monitoring & operation of production services including understanding user experience and ensuring happy customers through partnering with your product support team
- Contribute to building Visa’s technology brand through internal and external initiatives
- Bachelor degree or higher in a technical field such as computer science and computer engineering
- 10+ years of industry experience in the big data and/or large scale data platform areas, including 3+ year experience managing and leading development teams in the Big Data and Web Technologies areas
- 5+ years of hands on software development experience
- Strong at architecture design of complex large scale systems/platforms.
- Strong experience in both software development and Hadoop system administration.
- Strong aspiration to learn and explore resilience features with Hadoop big data system, include HDFS, Yarn, Hive, Spark and etc required. Experience in the areas of machine learning, data mining, databases, data analysis a plus.
- Strong experience in dev/ops working model.
- Strong experience in system automation and/or offering platform as cloud based services.
- Experiences in Docker and cluster orchestration tools, such as Kubernetes, Mesos, and/or Docker Swarm etc.
- Validated experience leading the software development of highly available enterprise level applications and platforms as services.
- Background in data with deep understanding of issues in multiple areas such as data management, data analysis, query processing, distributed processing, high availability, statistical, data mining, machine learning and operational excellence of production systems
- Strong at technical goal setting for a project with actionable success metrics. Good knowledge and experience on measuring a service from a user experience angle
- Strong at identifying problems, solving complex problems with simple solutions
- Think strategically. See patterns and relationships in information and events; clarify and simplify complex information; anticipate trends and possibilities that may lead to new business opportunities; consistently think and act “ahead of the curve;” anticipate and effectively respond with urgency to immediate opportunities; executes plans vigorously and with flexibility; operate actively; identify and address long-term opportunities
- Ability to work in a complex organization to resolve business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs
- Ability to handle multiple contending priorities in an energizing environment
- Extraordinary collaboration and partnership skills with the ability to work in a global environment and drive consensus in multi-functional teams.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills. In particular, a validated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels internally and externally.
- Strong customer centric mindset.
- Experience leading and working with geo-distributed team is a plus
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.