Staff Software Engineer - Data as a Service (DaaS)
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and merchants around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. Our advanced technology are enabling merchants to accept payments online and in store with first-class reliability and security. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
DaaS development is building the Next Generation Data processing platform with cost-effective and distributed applications on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Building next generation DaaS applications require collaboration with exceptional group of software engineers, Data architects, DevOps engineers, payment experts and infrastructure architects.
We are looking for an experienced technical expert in Big Data technologies to help us build our team in Palo Alto. As a Staff Software Engineer, you will work independently and with other software engineers as well as program/product managers. You will help shape the overall structure of the DaaS(Data as a Service) offerings. We desire a candidate who have ability to perform as Software developer and as SRE (Site Reliability Engineer); demonstrated success in building partnerships with the key stakeholders of the other technology functions such as operations, support, system administration, security, development, and engineering is required. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in cloud technologies, big data, web technologies, large scale distributed platforms, and have a good written and verbal communication skills.
- Analyze and develop new applications.
- Design, develop, document and implement new programs and subprograms, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing software.
- Build and maintain relationships with global and virtual teams and third parties on software development or support issues.
- Collaborating with and/or lead cross-functional teams, build and launch applications and data platforms at scale, either for revenue generating or operational purposes
- Developing and delivering quality services on time and on budget. Solutions developed by the team use Java, Hbase, Hive, Hadoop, Pig and other ETL technologies.
- Maintaining current technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology, always on a look out for new technologies and work with management and development team in bringing new technologies.
- Candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and supplemental engineering support, while responding efficiently to multiple program priorities.
- Become a subject-matter-expert (SME) for various program domains in support of building test capabilities.
- Ensure quality of services are near 100% defect free and services work in production to support uptime SLA of each program
- Master’s degree in computer science or equivalent
- 5+ year track record of relevant work experience and a Computer Science or related technical discipline is required
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, enterprise systems, and asynchronous architectures.
- Experience in Hadoop using Java, HBase, Spark, Kafka, Hive, Pig, Splunk technologies.
- Experience with large distributed services is a plus as is building/operating highly available systems.
- Agile & waterfall development experience.
- Experience using version control and bug tracking tools.
- Be an established self-starter who possesses a relentless drive to initiate change, raise the technical bar and deliver reslts
- Have significant experience with multithreaded Java development including fault-tolerant, scalable, high-volume systems.
- Be equally content prototyping and tinkering with new applications as well operating within the rigor of making solutions production-ready.
- Ability to generate creative and innovative solutions for QA challenges and constraints.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and be able to effectively drive cross-team solutions that have complex dependencies and requirements.
- Strong technical vision and technology leadership skills.
- Expert level SQL skills for data manipulation (DML) and validation (SQL Server, DB2, Oracle).
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience on Cloudera distribution preferred.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.