Staff Network Engineer - REF14692K
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The global network operations team provides 2nd level support to manage the day to day operations for Visa Inc’s network. As a Staff Systems Engineer, your primary responsibility will be to provide a senior role in supporting, managing, and implementing improvements to Visa’s network based on ITIL change, incident and problem management process. This involves working with a 1st level and 2nd level global operations team with 24x7 follow-the-sun coverage. You will work closely with the Network Engineering, Network Tools, and Network Systems and Programs teams in supporting, managing and implementing improvements to Visa’s network and also with applications and systems teams to manage and troubleshoot network connectivity. This position is within Global Infrastructure Network Services (GINS) team, that architects, engineers and operates Visa’s global backbone, datacenter, and access networks. The GINS team is centered around hiring and developing diverse talents who are passionate about building and operating best-in-the-breed infrastructure through technology and innovation.
This is an individual contributor responsible for identifying and resolving issues of advanced complexity. This position is at a senior professional level and requires strong/advanced execution and analytical abilities. This role works independently and receives minimal guidance.
• Lead and take ownership in troubleshooting and resolving complex 2nd level network related problems, coordinate resources where necessary and serve as escalation point to 1st level operational teams
• Respond to and resolve IP network issues within the timeframe of severity level agreements
• Observe and identify trends of recurring problem and provide resolution to prevent recurrence
• Deploy client solutions and network design implementations
• Support all aspects of the network management process assuring requests, implementation, and problems are delivered as required with no impact to the global communications environment
• Take initiative to proactively discover potential network impacts
• Lead and take ownership in problem resolution and root cause analysis
• Participate in tasks related to change, incident and problem management
• Mentor and coach junior Network Support Engineer
• Document, create and maintain operational run-books based from best practice and from knowledge/experience gained from day-to-day operations for continuous operational improvement.
• Conduct internal technical briefing/training for level1 and level2 network operations team
• Deploy and document changes in accordance with problem and change management process
• Participate in full implementation of projects and ensure documentation standards are adhered to. Complete the projects objectives within timelines.
• Lead and ensure all new implementations and designs are operationally supportable
• Communicate to customers, resolution and root cause resulting from the outage or service interruption
• Perform most effective approach to restore, recover, or alter configurations, logical or physical, to maintain service integrity
• Ability to write fluently and communicate to senior management in non-technical terms
• Candidate is expected to be On-call duty and work over weekends on rotational basis with other team members.
• Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science or a related field is required. Post graduate degree a plus
• Requires a minimum of 8 years experience in network support/administration.
• Current CCNP qualified or other similar industry certifications with related professional experience. CCIE would be an advantage.
• Have strong technical problem determination ability, analytical skills, exceptional system implementation, installation, and disaster recovery planning and ongoing administration experience.
• Broad knowledge in background in TCP/IP, MPLS, WAN, and LAN.
• Strong working knowledge with network packet analysis using wireshark or similar tools.
• Good working knowledge in F5 LTM/GTM, Cisco Nexus switches, Arista switches, Cisco/Juniper routers and Riverbed WAN Optimizers
• Experience with Ansible and Python.
• Experience in using network tools like Solarwinds (creating/maintaining dashboards), Netbrain (creating/maintaining runbooks) and Netscout.
• Experience in an application hosting or data center environment.
• Experience maintaining highly available and highly secure networks.
• Good process orientation and ability to clarify objectives, evaluate options, consider implications, assess risks, and make key decisions.
• Good interpersonal and facilitation skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
• Sound planning, organizational and problem solving skills.
• Good project management skills.
• ITIL certification preferred with good understanding of change, incident and problem management process
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and commitments in an environment that requires multitasking among concurrent projects.
• Willing to work as a team and share responsibilities where needed
• Ability to convey network concepts and issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.