Senior Legal Counsel - Level 5
- Brussels, be
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Senior Legal Counsel, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
This role sits within Visa’s dynamic UK & Europe Regulatory Law Team (based in London or Brussels), which provides legal advice and support to Visa Europe and the wider Visa Legal team (in both the UK and the US) on all issues relating to relevant regulation and regulatory change/developments.
This Team is part of a larger Legal and Regulatory Division (including, corporate and commercial, competition, and UK and EU regulatory specialists), which prides itself on a creative, proactive and can-do approach.
The Regulatory Law Team works at the cutting edge of new developments in an increasingly regulated environment, which brings unique and novel challenges in steering the organisation through a complex regulatory environment.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Provide regulatory legal advice and support to the Visa Europe business and the broader Visa Legal team
- Work very closely with Visa’s UK and European Regulatory Policy and Public Affairs teams.
- Interact and coordinate with Legal colleagues in the UK and the US.
- Identify and advise on key regulatory issues impacting the Visa Europe business.
- Identify new regulatory issues and challenges to Visa’s business and proactively advice on these issues.
- Identify the need for external legal advice and engage appropriate outside counsel on a range of legal and regulatory issues across Visa’s UK and European region. Management of outside counsel, including budgets.
- Work with other Visa departments across the globe to identify issues affecting Visa globally and to ensure consistency of advice.
- Manage, develop and maintain relationships with other Visa lawyers and business people to facilitate the effective delivery of legal advice and assistance.
- Proactively contribute to the Legal and Regulatory Division’s planning, cohesion, consistency in advice, and the general efficiency and effectiveness of the division as a whole.
Qualified regulatory lawyer with previous experience in competition law/policy or sector regulation: e.g. telecoms, utilities, payments and/or financial services. A good understanding of the European regulatory environment and familiarity with EU legislation. We are looking for a qualified lawyer with mid-senior level PQE. We will consider candidates who have qualified in any UK / European jurisdictions.
Demonstrable experience at a recognised law firm and/or in-house in a regulated organisation.
Strong academics and training, including legal drafting, negotiation, and relationship management.
Excellent written and oral communication skills along with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment as well as on own initiative.
Ability to prioritise and manage a varied and busy workload.
Positive attitude, high level of integrity and intellectual curiosity.
Fluent in English.
- Previous experience of working within a technology and digital legal environment and/or other sector regulated environment.
- Knowledge of Fintech and Payments industry (and applicable regulation).
- Previous experience of cross-border and multi-jurisdictional regulatory issues.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.