Senior Staff Research Scientist, Systems Security - Visa Research
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and
find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
“Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.”
Visa Research conducts applied and fundamental research, and was created to lead the company in pushing the boundaries of payment related technologies on a global scale. We engage with the company’s numerous technology and product teams, world-wide business partners, academics, and governments, to explore and develop technologies that will shape the future of the payments industry and impact the lives of billions of people.
We are currently focused on building world-class research teams in three key areas: Security, Data Analytics, and Future of Payment, and we are looking for outstanding and innovative researchers at all levels of experience as part of the Systems Security Research team.
Working on systems security research at Visa is a unique opportunity at a time when the payments industry is undergoing a digital transformation, and with security technologies as the critical enabler for a growing number of emerging payment models and usage scenarios. We offer you the opportunity to be at the center of innovation in the payments industry and set the security direction for Visa and the future payment ecosystem.
As a Research Scientist you will work with a team to conduct world-class security research and contribute to the long-term research agenda for digital payments, as well as deliver innovative technologies and insights to Visa's strategic products and business. As an integral team member of the extended Research team, you will work on research and development activities with fellow researchers, and work closely with product and technology teams to ensure the successful creation and application of disruptive and innovative security technologies.
This role represents an exciting opportunity to make key contributions to Visa's strategic vision as the world-leading digital payments company. The successful candidate must have an outstanding academic track record in fundamental and applied research with participation in developing innovations. The candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, and excellent collaboration skills.
- Research and develop cutting-edge systems security technologies for the protection of computation and data, across a large spectrum of applications concerned with secure payments in the data center and on edge devices.
- Deliver high-impact intellectual property values through research publications and patents.
- Collaborate with team members to deliver innovative technologies, insights and products to Visa business units to resolve their significant product pain-points and create new growth opportunities.
- Collaborate with our partners in academia, industry and government on key initiatives to advance our security research agenda.
- Work with team members and cross-functional teams (internal/external) that include representation from Technology, Product, Operations, Market Research, etc.
- Foster in-depth and productive relationships at all levels with team members and clients internally and externally.
- 4+ years of of industry research experience
- PhD degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, or equivalent field with a focus on security.
- Expertise in one or more systems security research areas: secure system design, formal methods for security, trustworthy hardware, secure software engineering, authentication, distributed system security, data protection and privacy.
- Strong track record in research publications and impact in the research community.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think outside the box and innovate.
- Demonstrated research project/program management experience is a plus.
- Experience in payments or related industry is a plus.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.