Chief Software Engineer (REF15351A) - Visa Digital Developer Platform (VDDP)
- Foster City, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and
find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
“Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.”
Are you interesting in working on one of the most exciting domain and fast-growing space? The payment industry, in parallel with technology in general, is experiencing a period of rapid, disruptive innovation. At the same time, mobile connectivity is growing rapidly and, with it, comes the opportunity to extend financial products to the 2.5 billion people around the world who are financially excluded.
Real-time payments (RTP) is a new strategic initiative at Visa, focused on building the next generation payment network connecting, individuals and businesses with banks, fin-tech players, countries and regions with the flexibility to use a variety of payment instruments.
Part of the broader Digital and Developer Platform organization, RTP team is undergoing a major ramp-up, looking to hire the best and brightest technologists with ambition and drive to build the next generation of payment network that would further extend the reach and scale of Visa’s payment network. This is once in a lifetime opportunity and you feel excited about joining and leading the revolution- come join us!
Chief Software Engineer
Reporting to the VP of Product Development, the Chief Software Engineer is a high visibility, high impact role requiring the ability to technically lead large and complex projects, help design mission-critical high-volume low-latency services and provide hands on development and mentorship to engineering leads as required. S/he will partner with product partners to understand the business landscape, jointly ideate on business needs for Visa’s next gen payment network and build the strategy for our team to architect, design and deliver the platform in a phased manner.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Be accountable for implementing highly scalable, low-latency, high-throughput systems that have five 9 availability.
- Drives the design for key cross team / cross product development projects (via architecture/design documents and developing key modules).
- Establishes software development patterns and best practices via examples and shipping code.
- Ensures that all relevant engineering teams follow a common set of principles and patterns and utilize a standard set of technology frameworks and libraries.
- Provides leadership across the engineering community to ensure solutions are built in alignment with platform principles and standards.
- Mentors and builds world-class high-performing engineering teams.
- Applies architecture best practices that helps increase execution velocity.
- Develops architectures that are inherently secure, robust, scalable, modular, API-centric and global.
- Influences technology selection for the enterprise.
- Defines deployment topology by working with peers across the technology organization.
- Optimizes use of Visa’s Platforms & Solutions.
- Demonstrates thought leadership through presentations and teaching across Visa.
· 15 or more years of technical experience in building large scale platforms with high availability, reliability and resiliency
· Prior experience in running large engineering teams is a plus
· Prior experience in architecting and designing complex enterprise systems, handling evolving technology standards and applying modern architectural practices a huge plus
· Proven track record in shaping new solutions in emerging markets and delivering scalable platforms
· Strong analytical and technical skills.
· Proven managerial skill with leading teams across geographies
· Reputation for being a collaborative thought partner and business leader, with ability to organize and motivate work across multiple team boundaries
· Proven track record of shipping product in time.
· Excellent communication skills at all organizational levels.
· Educational background in Computer Science/Engineering
Experienced technology leader with a minimum of 15+ years of software development experience including 5+ years of application architecture experience with deep technology expertise in the following:- Extensive experience on architecture design of large scale platforms and application with simple solutions.
Extensive hands on design/coding experience/skills using Java, J2EE, C++, C#, .NET. Strong on elegant coding, can write very solid prototypes or core components quickly.
· Strong service development experience with high performance and scalability.
· Object-Oriented design and development.
· SQL/noSQL technology.
· Web Services (REST/SOAP).
· Service Oriented Architecture.
Experience on distributed application performance engineering, mobile application development, database design, middleware, user interface development, and information security engineering - Technical ackground in data with deep understanding of issues in multiple areas such as data management, query processing, distributed processing, high availability, statistical, data mining, machine learning and operational excellence of production systems is required.
Have a successful track record of leading architecture work for large scale projects that represent broad strategic initiatives meeting quantifiable business objectives and resulting in tangible impact for the organization. Demonstrated expertise in leveraging agile and other development methodologies.
Think strategically: See patterns and relationships in information and events; clarify and simplify complex information; anticipate trends and possibilities that may lead to new business opportunities; consistently think and act "ahead of the curve"; anticipate and effectively respond with urgency to immediate opportunities; executes plans vigorously and with flexibility; operate proactively; identify and address long-term opportunities.
Demonstrated proficiency and experience in one or more of the following areas: application architecture, solutions architecture, software systems architecture.
Self-motivated, fast learner, with good understanding of related advanced/new technology. Keep up
with the technology development in the related areas in the industry, which could be leveraged to enhance current architectures and build durable new ones.
Outstanding verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, and interaction skills, including ability to effectively communicate architectural issues and concepts to multiple organization levels and executive management.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline required; advanced degree is a plus.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.