Trademark Paralegal Position
- Foster City, CA, USA
Visa operates the world's largest retail electronic payments network and is one of the most recognized global financial services brands. Visa facilitates global commerce through the transfer of value and information among financial institutions, merchants, consumers, businesses and government entities.
We offer a range of branded payment product platforms, which our financial institution clients use to develop and offer credit, charge, deferred debit, prepaid and cash access programs to cardholders. Visa's card platforms provide consumers, businesses, merchants and government entities with a secure, convenient and reliable way to pay and be paid in 170 countries and territories.
Visa is looking for a Trademark Paralegal to support Visa’s Legal Department. The VISA brand has been recognized as one of the most valuable brands in the world. The Trademark Paralegal's primary responsibilities will be to assist in the management of the company's worldwide trademarks and brands. The Trademark Paralegal will work collaboratively with other members of the Trademark team and other stakeholder teams within the company in a volume-intensive legal and business environment.
- Conduct preliminary trademark clearance searches using the US PTO website, Saegis, Corsearch, and other searchable databases.
- Draft correspondence to outside counsel and the US PTO, including trademark filings, maintenance, and renewal instructions, extension of time filings, declarations of use, Section 8, 9 and 15 filings in the US, drafting specification of goods and services and related amendments, and responses to office actions.
- Coordinate with Visa’s international offices and correspond directly with regional in-house counsel on trademark matters.
- Enforce Visa’s trademark rights against third party infringers; issue cease and desist letters; file opposition actions.
- Assist with preparation of legal documents.
- Docket deadlines into trademark database; scan and file digital communications in paperless filing system.
- Assist with invoicing process.
- Design, recommend, and implement new processes and procedures to increase group efficiency.
- Special projects, as needed
- At least 5-7 years of trademark paralegal experience, preferably with a top-tier law firm or a high profile, global in-house legal department.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience, excellent academic credentials.
- Paralegal certificate (ABA Approved) strongly preferred but not required.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, with a strong ability to review and organize numerous legal documents.
- Trademark Docketing experience using WebTMS or other major system strongly desired
- Hard working, well-organized and detail-oriented.
- Sound legal and business judgment
- Self-starter with ability to work independently with minimal instruction and oversight.
- Must be able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Ability and willingness to take initiative to address problems and make continuous process improvements.
- Foreign language skills is a plus.
- Notary Public or willingness to become a California Notary Public is strongly desired
- Excellent interpersonal skills, dynamic and highly team-oriented.
- Sense of humor and commitment to professionalism and collegiality.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.