Senior Manager, Data Science (Merchant Data)
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
With a mission to “translate raw merchant data into knowledge that powers business solutions and insights”, Global Merchant Repository(GMR) is a platform, developed and managed within Visa Global Data Product, to cleanse, standardize and enrich merchant data in Visa to enable internal and external clients to easily identify merchants at the location, brand and enterprise levels globally. Working closely with GRM team and product managers, the Sr. Manager of Data Science will have below primary responsibilities:
- Leverage in-house and external merchant data to perform intensive analysis to drive product development
- Design experiments and interpret the results to generate ideas for exploratory analysis to shape future merchant products and provide recommendations for actionable insights
- Build predictive models to enhance merchant identification and develop proof-of-concept prototype, as required.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across disciplines such as product, engineering, operations, and marketing
- Identify new opportunities and uses of standardized merchant data to improve overall data usage experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Advanced degree or equivalent
- 7-10 years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or
- 6-8 years of relevant experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or
- 3+ years of relevant work experience with a PhD
- 2+ years of experience with Big Data technology
- 5+ years of hand-on experience with payments data and 2+ years within merchant data space
- Strong background in two or more of the following areas: machine learning/AI algorithms, computations/statistical learning theory, scalable systems (e.g. Spark, Hadoop), large scale data analysis, optimization, functional analysis and deep learning.
- Ability to apply Machine Learning/AI in real-world industrial settings with large scale data
- A passion for developing algorithms, solutions and delivered/deployed projects in the merchant area preferred.
- Hands-on skills in reporting and visualization tools like Tableau, Microstrategy and Excel preferred
- Self-driven with the ability to work in a self-guided manner
- Superb communication and organization skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Proficiency in Python programming language
- Proficiency in Python data analysis, modeling building and visualization libraries
- Proficiency with SQL and Hadoop, Hive, Impala
- Prior experience with Spark and MLlib is a plus
- Experience with SAS is a plus but not required
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.